1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander issue thats bugging the crap out of me!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DCL, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DCL

DCL Member

Alright, heres the situation. Weve got a 2 yard sander that will not start with the in cab controls. The solanoid sounds like its clicking, but thats it.

Weve changed all connections and tighted them up good.
    New solanoid
    New starter
    Checked connections inside in cab controls.

Still just "Click Click". We can pull start it and use all the other controls, just cant start it.

Any idea what else to try? Its bugging me so much!!! :dizzy:
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

are you getting 12 volts to the solenoid when you push the starter button in the cab?
    if not then the starter button may be bad
  3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

If this is a Downeaster I would assume by your equipment list??? It would be a dead battery on the sander..
  4. DCL

DCL Member

hydro - I assume I am getting juice when I push the start button, it lights up green as normal.

Plowinginma - yes it is a downeaster.New battery. Forgot to put that on the list of stuff I changed.

It HAS to be a connection somwhere, I just cant find it i guess.
  5. hydro_37

from iowa

get a test light and test the solenoid for 12v
  6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

make sure you test the right pole, one side will have 12v all the time
  7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Put a hot wire direct to the pos post on the starter and see if it turns over, then come back here
  8. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

Make sure the starter motor has a good ground.
  9. highclimber604

highclimber604 Junior Member

yah sounds like a solenoid or a dead battery. most likely solenoid though, always keep a spare because they are a common failure. but deffinetly check it with a meter to make sure you are getting 12 plus volts.
  10. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

I would check all your grounds. Even if they all look and feel tight is there any rust or corrosion?
  11. ben@g2g

ben@g2g Junior Member

Just for the heck of it, try hooking up jumper cables to the sander battery, and try starting. We got a brand new battery for ours this year, and it was bad.
  12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

X2 Silvercity,

inside corrosion of cables throughout years goes undetected.
    Have had it happen on engine block as well. another thought you possibly may check the battery on the sander for a bad cell.
    Good luck! let us know what it was
  13. plowinginma

from MA

First I would check the battery(load test).. Second I would see if there is power to the solenoid battery post.. also 12 volts when you hit the start button.. It would be the yellow wire going to solenoid.. also the solenoid is a three post so it must be grounded..The green wire out of the harness is ground.. I would then test the solenoid to see if it is working (jump it if you have to) I connect the ground for the battery to the back of the solenoid bolt.. along with a ground from the motor to the same bolt.. you can apply 12 volts directly to the starter to see if it good. Follow that and you will have found your answer..
    If it is a downeaster harness
    White is the choke light...
    Green is ground..
    Red is throtle
    Brown is throtle..
    Black is kill
    Yellow is start..
  14. 2low

2low Member

ground the sander to the truck, i have had this happen many times for some reason when i put a ground to the truck it work
  15. plowinginma

from MA

It should be grounded through the green wire.. ( unless of course it is broken.. or melted) Just an FYI.. if you run tail lights and markers and spots that run off the truck power.. The green wire is not heavy enough to take the amp load.. and you will smoke the harness and controll box.. Use a trailer conection with a seperate ground wire for the lights..

Also one thing to check is the fuse on the back of the Box.. ( should have been the first thing to check)..and make sure you have power to the supply power port.. the only function that uses truck power is the start button..
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  16. DCL

DCL Member

Problem Solved!!

It was a bad power wire from the solinoid to the starter. Terminals were replaced but I guess the wire was junk. Hope she keeps working this time!

Thank you everyone for the help!
  17. hydro_37

from iowa

glad you got it fixed.