1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander in a 1/2 ton??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Any of you guys actually use a spreader/sander in a 1/2 ton Chevy? I have an Add-A-Leaf in the back but my spring pack still looks a little weak compared to a friend of mines 2500HD. Anyone know what a yard of salt/sand/mix weighs? Can't afford to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton this year so that isn't an option but would like to offer this service.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to be a smart A$$ but just half fill it. :)

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

1Yard is equal to 1.3 ton x 2000 = 2600 lbs way to much for your axles

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You also have to watch whether the material is dry or wet. Wet sand will weight a lot more, plus you have the weight of the sander.

5. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Thanks guys. I had no idea on the weight issue. Looks like I will have to wait until my next truck to offer this service, oh well.

6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Well now that we know that it is not recommended who still has a sander on their 1/2 ton.

7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I've done it, works if your in a pickle although I wouldn't do it anymore than I had to.There are a few yahoos in town that do it on a regular basis though. Full size (2 yd) sander, sand running over back. Don't follow too close though, too many sparks coming off the spinner dragging on the ground.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

they make those 6.5 foot models