1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander ideas

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sno king, Feb 7, 2006.

1. sno king

sno king Junior Member

Yesterday while staring at my sander throwin back a few coldones i was thing, and thought that if you could put a small cap or toneau cover on top of a sander insted of dealing with tarps and all the bull spit. Good or bad idea?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How easy would that be to take it off to load the sander?

3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I bought a fitted tarp. Its easy to put and take off. Bet yet is its real heavy duty. I'll get some pics

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I have seen guys around here use hinges and plywood and do 2 pieces that flip up on top to cover and flip down when loading so anything that doesn't make it in the sander slides down the plywood and off the side instead of in the bed. I thought it was a good idea, keeps elements out and deflects material from rusting out the bed. Pretty cheep too!
    I will try and get pictures next time I see it.

5. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I had a local canvas company make a fitted cover out of the same material as a heavy duty boat cover. They even doubled up the material at the corners and it has the same steel rings as a regular tarp. So far the absolute best $120 I have spent in a long time.

P.S. I messed around with the tarps too. At 2:00 in the moring trying to mess with a tarp in the middle of a storm gets old quick. Well hell I don't have to tell you guys!:D

6. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Mike was it that place on Warren Ave next to the Showroom?

7. berkshiremnts

berkshiremnts Junior Member

I've been using the plywood cover for a number of years. Made out of pt plywood, stainless hinges, with overlap strip in the middle. Quick and easy to open and close. Lowers as the sand is used up.

8. sno king

sno king Junior Member

u dont think that opens enough?

sportmasters_hinged_tonneau_edited.jpg

9. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I own and run three sanders and we never tarp any of them. Any snow that gets in there won't bother a thing and them and the rain doesnt bother much either.

What bothers them the most is leaving them sitting for extended periods and the sand packs down under its own weight and gets hung up. But that is going to happen either way.

10. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

I disagree Dog. The last storm we had ended as about 2 hours of rain. rain/mix beating down into the sand in the hopper causes it to stick together easier, so you get eaiser bridging and uneven feeds to the conveyor.

the best way is to get a tarp that fits the top of the sander with little or no overhang and DO NOT over tighten it to cause rips. It might flap a little while driving from job to job, but still nothing is getting in the sand while you are working.

Nothing worse than having to get out in the rain/snow and having to be out there trying to get the bridging BS to stop poking it with a shovel handle... been there done that. lol

If you get heavy duty fitted tarps and dont over tighten, its really not a hassle at all...although i really like the plywood idea because my guys spill sand into the beds regularly :angry:

11. Mick

from Maine

No, it wouldn't be for me. I use a tractor and Front End Loader. It would tear that thing up. How are you planning to load a sander with that?

12. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I think he was joking.

13. Mick

from Maine

Probably, now that I go back and look at it again. Sometimes, it's hard to tell, though. I've read some stuff where I thought they had to be joking, only to find out they were serious. So, I tend to respond more in seriousness.

14. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

it could work if u hinged on the side and used actuators to push it up to the side for loading it would look pretty weird tho going down the road

15. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

ya nueswede it twas nelson canvas. good guys too.