1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander For f350

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ballandchain91, Aug 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

Hi guys i am a new person here hoping to find some useful information. i do not know if I'm [/B]posting this the correct way. Heres my info:

I am signed up for the state of rhode island to plow/ and sand.

I have a 2001 f350 reg cab 8ft 4x4 single wheel gas with no bed on it.
    Im looking at a 2 or 2.5 yd sander for it.

My question is quite frank, is this possible?

Maybe possibly adding airbags for the weight issue? Trying not to sag a lot you know.

Im alright at math and i know I'm loading her up...but i want some experienced feedback with pushing these single wheel rigs.

I have 2 months and cash to build her, i have pics also but I'm turning to someone who knows more.[/B][/B]

Thanks,
    MarkB

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

2 yd is fine.

Legal? Idk. But I know it'll take it

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

So the truck you have has no bed, its just the frame?
    Are you asking if a salter will fit on the frame itself?

I see guys with salters in the bed of the f350s all the time around here and they don't have problems. Air bags will help with the truck not squatting.

4. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

I'm building a farm bed/flat bed for it, steel framed and sturdy…. the bed isn't an issue the sander will be anchored nicely. i am questioning the weight of 2 / 2.5 yds of sand and if the truck will haul it with or without airbags? Thanks for the quick replies!
    I have plowed for 5 years so far and this is a new step for me. Knowing i don't have a 1 ton dump I'm trying pretty much to get the most out of what i have.

And GLENN i have also seen this set up a lot ( with some squatters) do you think that extra .5 yd 1000lb or more will need the airbag support? thanks a lot

5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

It would definitely help take some of the pressure off the leaf springs. If it were me, I'd put the air bags in. They are not that expensive and fairly easy to install.

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

We run 2 yards on 3/4 ton trucks. They have no issues - but we are running straight salt. No sand here.

We also heap them closer to 3 yards for the trucks that stay on site. Those trucks squat lol

7. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

Thanks I'm getting an idea of my options. I personally have seen them squat I'm just wanting this truck to handle good (sit well with a little extra on it if be) and perform well seeing my good friend is the one going to drive for me. As i said new idea for me to build a state truck out of a single wheel. Truck will push a 8'5 plow.

i have 2003 f350 4x4 with 8'fisher for the few commercial,
    And I have a 2004 toyota pushing a 6' for some residential i have.Pushes well too! Over all about 40 accounts.

With all your input I'm confident in buying airbags and a 2.5 yd sander and seeing how it goes. Thanks and any other input i will greatly appreciate because i am a new member and enjoying the site and you guys helping.
    -Markb

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

What sander are you looking at? I've been looking at the shpe2250, but it's a large increase over the 2000. And tornados and such are another 2 thousand

9. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

theres a stainless Curtis local or Torwell one a 2 yd and one a 2.5. Both new, I'm more focused on the 2.5 Torwell

edit:
    anything 2.5 I've never used Torwell before

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Another wrench in the gears. Are you going gas or electric?

11. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

probably electric i know theres pros and cons for both but electric seems easier in a sense?

12. porabjr

porabjr Member

I plow for the town down year and have the same truck you have (I assume gas). I too am looking to add a sander and settled on a 2 yard piled up to 2.5. Problem for me is I need poly b/c I don't have ability/space to move steel around. The town here uses a mix of sand salt prob 50-50 mix. Sometimes even more sand. I am trying to stay away from augers because of that, makes pickins kind of slim on a budget!

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I've heard the 2250 handles sand mixes much better than the regular 2 yard. Supposedly the auger is a lot bigger and it has an extra vibrator. No first hand experience though, I hate sand lol

I'd do with poly everyday. I can pick up a 2 yard and put it in the truck myself

14. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

whats your preference?…. on gas or electric i read some other threads and it gets crazy ha. So I'm still going with what comes on my sander i buy (most likely electric)

15. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Electric. I've owned one gas and will never go back.

I prefer the salt doggs to be honest. They are cheap and stupid simple. Easy to work on as well

16. dieselss

Electric all the way

17. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

i have the electric shpe 2000. I love how simple the electric salter is and the only issues are that parts are made kinda cheap but i wont complain. I would recommend electric but you need to make sure you have an alternator that is equipped for the salter or it wont spread to its capacity which gets annoying. also if you want to preserve your truck i would build some sort of metal wall behind the spreader part because all that salt gets all over the truck and rusts fast! I plan on building something to stop the salt from hitting the truck this year

18. ballandchain91

ballandchain91 Member

Thanks whiffy thanks diesels… Assuming you guys don't mind let me throw this out there,

My friend has a 2.5yd meyers stainless rig with a 10.5hp B&S on it. I can most likely score it soon if i choose... Its belt driven i believe.
    Is there a way to convert it to electric? What does that imply; does that involve changing gears and such?

19. dieselss

Yes you can convert it. I think theres a thread on this. Try the search.

20. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I wouldn't. New ones are cheap enough to not have to worry about it.