1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander engine exploded

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Riccas, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Riccas

Riccas Member

Was trying to fix idle adjustment today when the piston shot through the motor on my short bed stainless ice-o-way sander. Luckily the starter blocked the shrapnel from hitting me! Anyhow, it has an out of date 8.5hp verticle shaft B&S engine. The replacement motor is going to cost me $1000 from the dealer and i thought about another option... ELECTRIC!!

My buddy just bought the nicer Boss tailgate spreader and i priced out the replacement parts... i can get the control box and the wiring harness (good for 40amps) for under 375. I'm looking for ideas on where to look and what types of electric motors to use. I have no idea how many amps it would require or anything like that. But i like the idea of converting my gas engine to electric for less concerns down the road. At first i was thinking of bolting it in where the motor was, but now im thinking i could get rid of the clutch and everything... just go with a strong electric motor and put it in where the clutch was to drive the linked chain and spinner shafts.

Thoughts on this? Am i crazy? No idea on cost of electric motors or how big an 8-10hp one would be and what amps it would draw. Looking for help though!!
    From a quick look it seems like manufacturers use 1/2 hp motors in the full size elec sanders... i'd prob want to go with 1hp to be certain.

TIA,
    -- Rick

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

sounds to be a good cheap fix.

3. Riccas

Riccas Member

I doubt it... prob close to 1k for elec i would think

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The same thing happened to my last ice event last Winter on my B+S on my Torwell Economizer.I was convinced I could changeover to electric also with some help from some members here that did the conversion.The only problem with mine is I had a horizontal shaft and apparently no one here had a similiar setup so I sold the sander and just bought the 1500 Salt Dogg.You have a vertical shaft so I do believe if you do a search here,you'll find your info. Good luck.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why does it matter if it is horizontal or vertical?

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Just because the guys who did the conversions had vertical shafts.I'm not saying this can't be done with a horizontal shaft but when I was asking for advise for mine,there was no follow up replies.

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Did a full electric conversion on my stainless Flink 8' this past summer, only has one salt event on it thusfar but has worked flawlessly. I used a 3/4hp Leeson electric motor and standard chains and sprockets from the local machine supplier. The motor was around $400 online if I recall. I had to slow down the feed thru gearing otherwise I could have used the existing gear/chain setup. I used the opportunity to replace the drag chain and bushings. Made my own wiring harness, flush mounted LED taillights, etc. Really happy with it. I kept a battery on board, just ran some 6 guage wires up to the batteries underhood thru a constant-duty solenoid (key on) so it keeps it well charged.

Everyone I read about online who did the electric conversion never regretted it. So far, neither do I.

:D

8. cretebaby

What did you use for a controller?

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Sno-ex has electric v box spreaders.

10. derekbroerse

I made a handheld controller with parts from Radio Shack, just rocker switches etc. I use the ProFlo2 on the S15 for small or narrow salting jobs with its variable speed, so on the big spreader I just did full power only. If you really need variable speed, the dealer handling the electric motor should have the right part, its all industrial off the shelf pieces.

11. cretebaby

How much bigger alternator do you need for that?

12. derekbroerse

I don't. I've been running the same alternator (stock rebuilt for '87 350 w/ac) for years and years. Twin batteries under the hood, plus I'm sure the extra capacity of the one on the salter doesn't hurt either...

The S15 also works fine with the stock alt and batt. Tho last year I ran a second one in the bed, just in case. Haven't had a chance to reinstall that yet tho.

13. cretebaby

Do you know what speed the electric motor runs at?

14. derekbroerse

Pretty sure it runs at the standard 1800ish RPM, can check the tag again if you like, its been a while.

You guys want pictures?

15. cretebaby

Is the Pope Catholic? :D

16. derekbroerse

Probably not :D but I'll snap a handful of pix when I'm out there this afternoon.

17. cretebaby

So.........how about those pix.

18. derekbroerse

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009