1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sander control not working

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by performanceplus, Nov 23, 2010.

1. performanceplus

performanceplus Senior Member

We have a snoway v-box gas sander and I have no control from the control box in cab. Some nice person decided to take our battery and solenoid from us. I put a new battery on and solenoid and nothing happens. I see there is a small red wire coming down from the motor near the starter, but not sure where it goes. I imagine it has to go to the solenoid just not sure where. I can pull start it right from the motor, but I still have no control from the box. If anyone has one of these and could give me some help it would be great.

Thanks.

2. equip guy

equip guy Member

I'm not exacty sure about your model, but most v-box spreaders with pony engines will run the controler power from the truck side, and the engine is run off the solonoid at the rear. Most solonoids need power from the battery to 1 post of the solonoid(this is always hot), the other side of the solonoid has wire to the starter, The other red wires usually will be on the hot side of the solonoid and go to the charging system, this allows the battery to be recharged when running and it back feeds through that post. The smaller ga.wire (usually a different color) goes to the sm post, and that is the signal wire from your truck controller. If it has another small post beside it, that usually goes to your ign coil. This is what kills the engine when you throw the switch, or key. Check also to see if you have a power and ground from the controller box to something like the fuse panel. Remember Only 1 wire goes from the start side of the post of the solonoid and to the starter, this is a momentary contact only. Hope this helps

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

This guy is good! [​IMG]

4. performanceplus

performanceplus Senior Member

I got all the wires hooked up. Thanks for your input. The problem that I am having is that I can't get the conveyor to turn on. If I jump the clutch with 12v all it does is click. Do you think I have a bad clutch?

5. equip guy

equip guy Member

Do you have enough shaft sticking out to manually move the conveyor? The clutch is nothing more than a magnet, with a pulley or sprocket on the other end. It either works or it doesn't, or it slips. It too has bearings, As these sit they can seize in the last position you left it in. Also make sure nothing is binding the conveyor chain. The clutch does have limitations. If you can turn the conveyor with the clutch OFF with say some thing like a pipe wrench and its free, then we can study the clutch further. Anyone can change parts if you have the money. Clutches aren't cheap. We'll figure it out

6. equip guy

equip guy Member

Also your clutch should be powered through your cord to the cab, look att the switch for the conveyor at the box, find out how it gets its power, After you start the unit up, the switch SHOULD have 12v to one side, when you move the switch the other post of the switch should have 12v. If not, see if there is an in line fuse that may be blown. The reason why most manufac run a separate power for the conveyor is that when the clutch uses power, there isn't much left of the charging system of the pony motor to charge the starting battery. If you have to jump this from something else, find out why that wire to the clutch is dead.

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i agree with eguy. if the clutch clicks its probably fine. look were the shaft under the clutch enters the gearbox. try to turn it with a smaller pipe wrench. if it wont turn don't try to force it. you will break the gearbox. if it turns freely and the conveyor moves maybe the drive chain is rusted up on top side.

do all of the functions work from the cab control?

8. equip guy

equip guy Member

Oh, If tthe spreader control cord has a plug to connect to the cab or the back of the truck, check for power at each side of the plug, this way you'll know how to narrow down the area of trouble. Corrosion is huge in these types of plugs if not properly sealed (and if you have one}

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Either the upper clutch bearing, the drive chain for the spinner or the main pintle chain (conveyor) is frozen.

Check the spinner chain to see if it is moving freely, then check the clutch, the upper unit should move freely limited by only by the clutch retention bracket. If these are both moving freely try using a pipe wrench on the shaft sticking above the clutch. You should be able to turn it easily.

Lots of PB blaster and fluid film are the cures for the pintle chain. the roller chain should be replaced if it is frozen, you can soak it and work it till it's free but it will cause you problems later. the clutch bearing requires replacment, if you do free it up it will screw you in the middle of a storm when it fails.