1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sander Body Opinions/Comparison

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by BanffParksHwy, Sep 13, 2014.

1. BanffParksHwy

BanffParksHwy Junior Member
    from Banff

Hey guys/gals, Im a mechanic in the Canadian rockies running a fleet of 10 or so plow trucks with sanders on them. We are looking for a few new trucks and am trying to get some info together to try and sway the opinion of the higher ups in the company. I personally loved working on the "barrel" or "u" body style sanders when I was back east.

Currently we run side dumps, which have more hydraulic lines, more crossmembers, moving parts, etc, etc.

Im looking for operators/mechanics opinions on the different styles/maintenance downtime and suggestions on companies, we used to run Viking Cives bodies which i though were pretty well built. Currently we have Everest and Tencos which are crap in my opinion.

As well is there anyone on here operating a tow plow, I dont mean a guy who works where there is one in the fleet I'm looking for first hand operator experience and how well they scrape the hardpack especially as your sand/salt ballast runs down

thanks

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer a V box hopper that you put in a dump body or mount it directly to the frame. As for a 4 season body, I like front dumps a lot better than side dumps. Like you said, there are to many moving parts and hoses on side dumps. The company I work for has a Down Easter hopper (wheeler), 2 front dumps (1 wheeler and 1 single axle) and 3 Tenco side dumps (1 wheeler and 2 single axles). They have the most problems with the side dumps.

3. BanffParksHwy

from Banff

Ya with a V setup though we would loose too much cu yrd capacity which is a big deal here due to the far distances travelled by our plows between fill sites. glad to hear others are having issues with the Tenco's we have a few of their one way plows with poly blades and we are constantly repairing the boards and harnesses, not impressed with their stuff.

4. mercer_me

I can crowd 15 yards in my V box. We have had pretty good luck with the Tenco plows. I personally hate the Tenco wings because they don't stick out far enough IMO. My Everest wing sticks out at least a foot more then the Tenco's

5. BanffParksHwy

from Banff

What's the length of your V box? AMD with 15 yrds your still within your weight restriction? Here in Alberta we don't have drop axles behind the cab like back east does, well that was until last year sometime, when the MTO canned those.

6. mercer_me

I'm not exactly sure how long it is, I've never measured it. It fits in my wheeler's body just about perfect. I'm sure with 15 yards on I'm way over weight but, what plow truck isn't over weight. When I'm plowing I only have 6 to 8 yards on but, when I'm sanding I round it right up and put 12 to 15 yards on.

[​IMG]

7. LON

LON Senior Member