1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sandblasting salters!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bossman 92, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well I rented a small (100 psi) sanblaster this weekend in hopes of blasting the salters. Is there anything I need to be aware of before we start? I figure I should be able to blast an entire unit and paint it in one day. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Bossman

2. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

WOW you are ambitious! Blast and paint all in the same day?

It is funny that you should ask this, yesterday I went and picked up five blades from the Sand Blast shop, he had a spreader box in the blast room . According to the owner, they loaded it yesterday morning around 8;30, started right away and it was 2:30 and the tech was still working on it? How much he still had remaining, I don't know? All as I can say I tried blasting a 7.5 blade without powder coating with a 100lb pressure pot and that was an all day affair!, The Blaster worked great, it was my compressor that slowed down the project, and that is a 7.5HP Leiroy with an 80 Gallon tank! Since then I just load up and drop off all my plows at the SB shop, time is to valuable, and by renting the equipment and buying the materials, I certainly didn't save any money.

So to try and answer you questions,

If the spreader has a powder coating, it may take you a week! , if it is a painted model depending on the size, it's a good days job, Prepping , masking and painting will take at least 2-4 hours, putting on a good paint job another 4-6 hours. I'd recommed you use a good Direct to metal epoxy primer with a Urethane based automotive / fleet paint. Dupont and PPG offer a fleet grade product, Dupont's line is Nason and PPG I believe is Omni or Onyx?

I would suggest that you take every precaution to protect any moving parts especially bearings and shafts , If you don't any of the remaining abrasive will chew them up in less than a storm!

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

With a great blaster, a BIG air compressor and a lot of luck. Power coating is a real bear to blast.

And as for paint, read the instructions about re-coat times, solvent lift can destroy hours of hard work.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have a blaster 5 min down the road so we just take our stuff there and have him blast the rough parts and we leave the good parts and just prime over them. No sense trying to get the powder coating off if it's still good.

5. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Hope I'm not too late. Remove all berarings, chains, wiring, motors,etc., down to the basic frame as much as possible. Duct tape all other things not to be blasted. If you do leave bearings, tape them and try to direct the spray away from the opening. Remove excess grease as this slows the blasting process. Powdercoating will almost double the time it normally takes to blast. I hope you have a large air compressor, otherwise it will not be able to keep up and pressure will fall. Less pressure=less efficiency. If you do not have a supplied air hood ( takes even more air) at least wear a cartridge type respirator. The free silicates in the sand (especially silica sand) are bad for you, and you can get silicosis, which is similar to miners black lung disease. I do not want to be a stick in the mud, but I think you need a much larger compressor (think jackhammer type). Or take it to someone reputable to clean it. You may run into much aggravation. Good luck.

6. Bossman 92

Well, at the rate I am going it will snow before I get this thing done. I have pulled everything off, bearings all get replaced and so does the drag chain. All I can say is when, and I do mean "WHEN" everything is working it does a good job.

My hose running from the can to the blaster gun has clogged at least 6 times, the rope on recoil starter on the compressor broke, the blaster gun had a screw that was destroyed from the sand which allowed everything to fall apart, and now there is moisture in the bottom of the can which cloggs the sand and doesn't allow any material to flow to the gun. And did I mention that the compressor that they rented me is not near big enough to run the blaster?

I have taken almost every hose off to clean them out, but moisture is killing me.

As far as having it blasted, I have gotten several quotes and the cheapest I can find is $800, and that doesn't include painting.

I figured for $150 and a day of my time I could "just do it myself". :realmad:

Well after breakfast I am heading out to try again.

BTW, I have almost a 2' X3' area done already. xysport

Bossman

7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i'm in the auto body field and i have do plows before, get yourself a can or 2 of aircraft stripper, and fallow the directions on the back of the can, it will bubble the paint and loosen it a ton and then that will save you time, then sand blast it off! its pretty much acid in a can!

8. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

If that is a pressurized pot, there should be a valve (ball valve?) that diverts air flow from the hose to the pot so you can clear obstructions, like wet sand, from the bottom of the pot. It is called the choke valve. You might also have to take the blast nozzle off the end of the hose to expel the wet sand from the hose.

9. Bossman 92

Well I spent most of the day at a 5 year olds b day party, but for the last few hours I blasted and painted a spreader. I figured out how to quickley dis-lodge the blaster, so it wasn't too bad. I managed to blast and paint 1 "WHOLE SIDE!" Whoo hoo! I am going to re-rent it again tomorrow so we will see.

BOSSMAN

10. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

wow $800 thats pretty high. i had a whole plow sandblasted an powder coated for that much. good luck

11. Bossman 92

Well I found my calling :rolleyes: I started about 930 this morning and quickley blasted the front, back, bottom and the other side of the spreader. We flipped it over and started blasting the inside. About half way through it started raining. It hasn't rained in 2 weeks!

Oh well, with the mowing slowing down it didn't really cost me any time. Next week or so I will rent this unit again and re blast and paint. With the rental and material I will only have a few hundred bucks in it.

Bossman

12. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

I know the feeling.

This winter we stripped an entire skidsteer down to the bare bones ( removed cab, tires, seat, floor, doors, loader arms, pistons, everything except the transmission and the engine. It was a 2 day job just to strip it down and seal up the engine and the transmission, and another relentless 2 days of sandblasting.

It took about 100 50 lb bags of black beauty to get all the parts down to bare metal.

Then it took about 5 days of priming, drying and painting and then we had to re- assemble it all!

Long story short we learned alot, and probably wouldent opt to do it again...LOL.

Sandblasting sucks, even if the equipment is working..

Anyway, gl with your project!