1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sandblaster Suggestions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Before I store all the plows till next season I want to blast and paint. Looking for suggestions on a unit. Gravity feed is out of the question, take too long. Anyone have recomendations? The compressor at the shop is huge and can probably handle anything but want the luxury of using it at home as well. The home compressor specs are as follows:

7.0 hp
    60 gal capacity
    scfm @ 40 psi 12.1
    scfm @ 90 9.7

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have one of those $100-$125 Chinese red ones,you know the type you see at the flea markets/car shows.I used it a few times on my stuff--works OK,my only complaint is it burns up those ceramic nozzles pretty fast.

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I picked up a small siphon feed unit for my compressor which is of similar size to yours. Its specs claimed it would work with my output but it doesn't do a good job at all. After talking to several people about it, the general conclusion was I needed a lot more cfm, about 20cfm. As a result, I found someone to blast my dump body for $600.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Your best bet is to rent a tow behind compressor. You need on order of 80CFM to run a nice siphon feed gun. A siphon feed gun will save media also. It may be worthwhile to shop around to get them done. You may get a real good price where you don't need them for a few months. And if you have paying work for your guys to do, it makes even more sense to hire it. That powder coating does not come off easily.

5. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Agree with 2COR517. Shop around for a good blaster. The guy that did mine spent almost three hours sandblasting it and the plow was in rough shape. And he had one of the biggest and nices sand blasting setups I've ever seen. At least take a few minutes to make a couple of calls and see what you find out.

6. 2low

2low Member

7. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

That's going to be light unless you use a small nozzle, or wait for the compressor to catch up. I'd be looking at a minimum 18 cfm. Just ordered a Speedaire that puts out 31 cfm and even with that I'll have to use a smaller nozzle. To do sandblasting of any sort you're looking at 50 cfm. For a five-10 hp unit your nozzle size should be 5/32nds at 100 psi, and you need 30 cfm.

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I may have a good deal on a Clemco 1042 (100lb) pot with all remotes and blast hose, new #4 nozzle, Plumbing just up graded to 3/4"
    Would this be sufficient?

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I actually have all the media for free. Work for a sand company during the day. Thing is I have 7 plows and 2 dump bodys to do. Cant co them all at once so renting is not an option. For what it will cost to purchase will be more bennificial. I'm really leaning towards the clemco.

10. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Not for your compressor. With a #4 you're going to use 47 CFM at 50 PSI (at the nozzle), and need 11 HP. That is the bare minimum.

Here is a chart from Clemco, CFM is in the second chart, as well as needed hp.

http://www.clemcoindustries.com/images/pdfs/23339.pdf

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  11. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

It takes a lot of air to sandblast, if you have a shop compressor you will wear it out doing all the sandblasting you have on your list. One more thing, where are you going to do this at, sandblasting is very messy. If you doing it inside a building, you will be sweeping up sand for 2 years after you are done, I know. Where ever you do this at you will need a fresh air supply inside your hood.
    One thing to think about, if the nozzle on your sandblaster is a 1/2 inch, you have to move that 1/2 inch dot over ever square foot of what you are blasting.

12. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

take em to the pit and blast them there...unless your out back somewhere or you'll
    have a mess....

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of sand is it? If it's not sharp/hard enough you will go stir crazy trying to get that powdercoat off.

14. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Don't waste your time, I have a guy that blasts and paints my plows for $350. FYI a REAL air compressor will deliver about 4.4cfm per Hp@90psi. I was a air compressor mechanic for 9 years, I can't figure out how they rate the little ones like that.

15. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Was trying to get the specs on the shop comp but no where to be found. It will operate a tire gun for budd wheels w/o a problem. Put out like an old g.f.
    UPDATE:
    Here's the specsACFM @ 100 PSI: 18.50
    Max PSI: 175
    Motor: 5hp 208-230V/1Ph. - 22 AMP
    CFM Displacement: 22.43
    LINK:
    http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BEL318VNw&Category_Code=C1

air comp (Small).jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I can get fine sand, state sand, dry screen. Would definetly without a doubt do this outside in the yard by the barn.

17. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Great find, thanks for the find/help

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't mean to spoil your party, but that compressor is not up for what you're trying to do.