1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sandblast help wanted

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xtreem3d, Nov 6, 2007.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys,
    i'm wanting to sandblast some of my equiptment. what are some of you using with good results.? about a year ago i rented a pull behind compressor and blaster but for some reason (not wet sand) it never worked very well. do the small kettles that you can get cheap at harbor frieght work. i only have an 80 gal. single stage compressor at my shop,
    tia,
    steve

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

for sandblasting you need pressure not volume your 80 al should be fine. most pull behuind units dont have the high psi but deliver lots of volume. the ones at harbor frieght work decent for personal use i wouldnt try to run a biz with one but ive used one and it worked fine.

3. woodacres

woodacres Junior Member

Small Sand-blasters...............

Ive found that the smaller sand-blasters work great for doing rims etc. but you are wasting your time trying to do anything larger.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

so what do you use on plows and salters?

5. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

A tow behind compressor and blast hopper setup with atleast 150 pound capacity. Black Beauty is the blast media of choice. It will strip anything fast except good powdercoat in a hurry witch is another whole story...LOL

6. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I have one of those Harbor Freight small sandblaster and a Ingersoll-Rand, T-30, 5 Hp, 2 stage, air compressor. Once you start blasting the compressor will run the whole time you are blasting. If you are going to use your blaster, rent a tow behind compressor and hook it up to your sand blaster. This will save your compressor. That small sand blaster is only for spot cleaning rust, I would not use it on big jobs. Tow behind Compressor run about 125 PSI

Steve

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  7. woodacres

woodacres Junior Member

Hi Steve

I just looked in my local yellow pages and found a guy that had a large sandblast set-up mounted on a truck. He came right to me and blasted my dumptruck bed in no time. If you cannot find anyone get a hold of a local auctioneer in your area. They use these guys all the time to spruce up heavy- equipment that is going on the auction block.