1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

If you are going to sand, what kind of sand do you use (Example- playground sand)?

where can you get it? price range? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Second, can you put it in a tailgate spreader? :confused:

:cry: Sorry, wrong section :cry:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I get winter sand mixed with salt if there out i get playground sand in the 50lb bags

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

we use mason sand it is more griity for better traction and we mix it with salt a 4 to 1 mix.

4. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

If you're looking to buy in "bulk" from a pit, ask for 2NS...
    It's what the road crews use.
    They then mix it 10 sand, to 1 salt, to 0.1 chloride to keep their stockpiles from freezing up into a large chunk.

5. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We get our screened sand in bulk from the pits around here. It is really good stuff and we pay $4.00 a ton for it. We mix a ratio of 4 to 1 for mixed stuff.

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Buy bulk from a ready mix plant. The corser the better. here we have gone to a crushec "P" rock size (3/:cool: mixed with sand. Works best in snow pack. no one here uses salt or any other chemical yet because it is to expencive to ship in. I only stockpile the "P" rock because it won't freeze hard. Sand would be useless with salt.

we Pay $20/ton and I go through 1,000 tons a year aprox.

7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks guys :drinkup:

8. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I use Road Sand.. Buy it in bulk for $16.00/yd

Very coarse sand with small small pebbles in it.. Great for traction! Kinda messy though