1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BowTieDmax, Sep 28, 2011.

1. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Well looks like this will be my first year of having to spread sand. What the dos and donts? Whats the best way to keep it from freezing in storage? Probably get it now so it can dry? I think I picked up an account with a big gravel parking lot in the rear.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I've never had a problem with tarped sand freezing.
    But mine is also mixed with a bit of salt and in the sunlight
    The only real issue with sand mix is that it sometimes likes to bridge
    The best way is to load and sprinkle it in vs just dumping the bucket
    We always scoop into the pile ad dump the first bucket higher up on the pile them take the second bucket and load the
    Spreader. It gets the water or snow out of your bucket also
    I run my spreaders on 4x4s raised up because I find we can keep the sand in the box longer then
    And plow and it doesn't pack and jam. I try not to plow alot with a full load cause it will pack down
    We like to load and spread. Sand can get heavy when it starts to get wet so
    Tarp it or cover ur spreader even
    Lots of money in sand
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

All good advice here.

Without some salt, your sand WILL freeze. There was a guy here from Alaska talking about this, they run sand no salt. But they keep the sand in a heated building, load the truck, and spread it within 30 minutes or so. I think he had heated spreaders too.
  4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

If you are going to use sand, buy it during the cold of winter, then when you store it make sure it stays tarped. It well be run through the screen and broken up even with ice/water in it. Also use the larger granular sand, the larger the grain, the less moisture it well hold.
  5. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Thanks guys
  6. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I mix my sand 15 yds sand to 1 yard salt.... I store it in an 3 sided building... I've done the tarp thing but its a pain to uncover when the snow piles up on it..