1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sand vs salt sand

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by voodooshrimps, Jan 19, 2016.

1. voodooshrimps

voodooshrimps Junior Member

Hey guys! So im wondering if i can use straight sand in my spreader. Its a brand new polycaster, ive been using salt sand mix in it, but thats $50/yd here and im looking to make some money off sanding not just pay for gas.. (1 yd to sand my 2 parking lots, i get paid $100 for both as sand price):dizzy: I was told by the guy at the sand yard straight sand will freeze in my sander and be useless.. is this true?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

What's your contract say you're supposed to use on those two lots? That's the more important question. I believe the DD spreaders are rated to spread both as a mix or not. Check your owner's manual to verify it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  3. voodooshrimps

Contract is for sanding, nothing fancy going on here.. The sander is rated for spreading sand and salt and everythig in between What i guess im concerned about is going to plow in the am and my sand is frozen solid in the hopper and having to bust out the garden hose to unclog everything.. You ever used regular sand in your spreader?

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

No. Where I'm at everybody uses straight rock salt or liquid. No sand around here.

5. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Do you get paid to clean up the sand at the end of the season? I wouldn't want that in my lot all summer.

6. voodooshrimps

I do the landscaping at my accounts as well, so yes I do get paid to clean up the sand... Most people here only sand, only the real big lots like grocery stores and stuff get straight salt. I know rock salt is about $110/ ton where I am that probably factors in to that

7. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

If the sand is stored inside and you load it just before you spread you will be ok.
    However it needs to be mixed otherwise it will freeze up and any cost savings will be gone.
    Why don't you raise your prices? I pay 63 a yard and can get about 2-250 for that spread easily

8. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I tried straight sand which was under cover and it did freeze up. Now I am mixing in some salt, at approximately 10 to 1, and have had no problems. It has hit 0° here too. It does make it damp and I need to constantly run the vibrator.

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It will freeze into a total rock if it gets cold enough.A friend used to keep his in a heated shop,he would load and spread right away.If your only making 100$ total per storm you will never see any profit.You should just look at it as a favor to your client.You could sell the polycaster and pocket $ and just spread by hand.

10. voodooshrimps

Thanks for the info guys.. Guess I'll raise my sanding prices next year.. I'll be adding a 3rd parking lot next year so I'll hang on to my sander and see how it goes

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I pay $20 a yard for sand/salt mix delivered. I would never run straight sand, as it would freeze solid.