1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand vs Kitty Litter vs Oil Dry For Walking Traction

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by thelettuceman, Feb 3, 2013.

1. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Oil Dry $0.24 lb
    Kitty Litter $0.17 lb
    Sand $0.07 lb

I bought a bag of each today. I want to see which gives the best walking traction after I salt a small parking lot and side walk. Price is actually a secondary consideration. Try to not have any slip and falls. Can anyone share their knowledge with me? Thanx / Rick

2. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

Im not trying to be a dumba$$ but isn't this is what salt or ice melt is for?

3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

No, you are not a dumba$$. You ask a good question. I use the salt to melt the ice. I try not to use more than I need due to potential property damage. I use sand or kitty litter or oil dry for traction. Trying to find out what will give me best results.

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Oil dry and kitty litter are made of DE, both break down to some slick stuff when saturated. Sand doesn't.

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

In my experience, kitty litter turns into a slimy, gooey, slick-as-snot mess.

Even if it didn't, sand is the less offensive option when it sticks to shoes and gets tracked indoors.

6. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

He is correct I would use sand. I have used oil dry in a pinch and it worked but would not recommend on regular basis.

7. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

And sand will always be cheapest by far

8. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

How bout traction grit. Has a little bit more heavy material than sand making it better for traction as well as not clumping in spots and slopes. Use it for getting my truck unstuck once in a while.