1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sand tubes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by harley, Nov 17, 2003.

1. harley

harley Junior Member
    from ohio

where can i get sand tubes ? waiting for snow in ohio

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Check with your local home store, Lowes Home Depot, ect.

They should be able to set you up.

Welcome to PS.:waving:
    Mark K

3. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

check prices on 80lb bags of quick-crete or the liking while you're at your home improvement store. I've found here the concrete is at least $1.00 cheaper then 50lb tubes of sand so you save some money if you need a lot.

if you make blocks out of the concrete with handles you can use them over and over. Otherwise the bags will just sit in your bed and mold to is so they won't slide around. When they get wet they'll set up...but not very strong...they may crack or split down the middle if you jostle them around a lot. But it works.

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Junior Member

Cheapest tube sand I found was at Home Depot.$2.49 each for 60# bags.Most every where else was $4.99 or so.

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

What about bags of water softner salt. I like that I have a use for them in the Spring.

Derek

6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Sorry, but I have to disagree with your idea. Hardened concrete on your truck bed is a real danger in the event of an accident. I would go with the tube sand. Last year we got them at Home Depot for less than $3 each. I havent looked this year as we saved them from last year. The other advantage is that they can be cut open and used for traction if you get stuck.

7. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

Your point is a good one. Yet, when in an accident anything can become a serious hazzard when it's airborn. I've always made a frame out of 2-4's to hold the blocks in place right above the axle...even have been in a wreck and they didn't budge. I guess it's just your own opinions on the risks you're wanting to take.

8. NHSnow

NHSnow Junior Member

Do the sand tubes absorb water and eventually freeze solid? Seen them but never used them. Have always used a few 5-gal. buckets of sand.

9. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

the tubes i've had have a high content of moisture in the sand so they become rock hard.

10. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

The old tubes were in a mesh type bag and did freeze. The newer bags are a tough poly that don't freeze as long as they aren't punctured. We unload them in our shop between plowing so they are usually warm when we start out. They stay together when stacked properly, due to the conforming nature of a sand bag, and don't bounce around. I'd feel a lot safer in an accident with them in the back, rather than a solid block of concrete.

The best idea I saw here was a solid piece of 1" plate steel, bolted thru the bed. That sucker will never move.

11. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

50# bags of play sand at Menards for $1.85

Nice sturdy bags also. I got 8 of them ( 400# ).

12. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

I put 5 of the 60lb sand tubes in the back of my 1500, do you guys think that will do it?

BTW, will it ever snow????

13. DitchDigger

DitchDigger Junior Member

Whai I've found to work great is, if you have any old truck tubes laying around, cut them in half so you have two tubes, clamp one end close fill it with beach sand, clamp the other end and your ready to go. :gunsfiring:

14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

You should carry sand & rock salt....it could save your :eek: if you get stuck....salt melts / sand gives traction :D Just some friendly advice :drinkup:

15. DitchDigger

I hear alot of guys say that. But I don't really see a need for sand as a traction device. I've never been stuck. I've bottom it out a few times while stacking, and had to dig it out. The way I see it, if you get in a situation that you need sand for traction you either forgot to lock the hubs or did something very wrong... :D

16. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Hey Ditchdigger,
    What is an old truck tube?

17. DitchDigger

You could use a truck, tractor or for that matter a car tire inner tube. Although you would need a couple of car tubes to get the weight up.

18. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

MsQueen

I bought a new plow this year so no, it will never snow :mad: That's just the way things go for me!

300lbs of sand may not be enough. All depends on how heavy your plow setup is.

Fisher has resources on their site for ballast requirements; here is one page which contains info:
    http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/27952_021503.pdf

Here they show a 1500 Chevy w/ 8' Fisher requires 600lbs.