1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand Through Tailgate Spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rustyb265, Nov 25, 2009.

1. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

Anyone have any suggestions about putting sand/salt through a tailgate spreader? Sounds like more guys are running straight salt. I have heard sand plugs them up, so is there something out there that is made to spread sand? Or does one brand work better than other?
  2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

SEARCH here , the brands that do spread bulk . like the Snow-ex 1875 w/ vibrator and up . yes , you can spread wet sand thru it if you like . they do need an anti-bridging piece and vibrator to do it .

i did fab an old buyers by inserting PVC pipes in spreader to act as an anti-bridger. :laughing: worked great !
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

think of it this way. Any salter can spread sand. HOWEVER.... The issue is sand can pack down very easily and very quickly. When this happens the spinner either stops spinning or a bridging affect takes place an no sand is pushed out.

You can do a mix maybe 70 salt /30 sand and have less issues but, ultimately you need a salter that has an auger, vibrator and spinner and one you can empty between uses so it does not turn to cement. You could always try to only fill the hopper 40% and spread away at that specific account. But, not real efficient.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Ran sand/salt mix through my Western 1000 for 2 winters and never had a problem if it was DRY material
  5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx 1575 & 1875

snowex offers two tailgate spreaders that will work. The 1575 and the 1875 will both spread salt sand mix

They have vibrator and inverted V to keep the material flowing. They also have a dual control box to give you the opportunity to control the spinner and auger independently.

Good luck.
  6. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I have a airflo MSS will throw just about anything the best tailgate spreader IMO
  7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I run sand through my Buyers. Wet or dry, it doesn't seem to matter much although I get better flow with dry material.

I built a screen out of 3/4" X 1/8" expanded metal to keep any large clumps out.
  8. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

Thank you to everyone for the info. This will help me when the time comes to buy!