1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sand through a fisher2000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xc23, Dec 12, 2007.

1. xc23

xc23 Member

Has any one ran sand through a fisher 1000 or 2000 tailgate spreader. The fisher Boucher says not to (salt only) . I was wondering if any one had any experiences with this , and or what could go wrong with trying it. The unit has a sealed motor housing and greasable bearing on the spinner that I grease regularly, and I would use dry sand only.Any help would be appriciated.

2. lowsnow

lowsnow Junior Member

It all depends on how it flows and how clumpy it is. I've got a Fisher 2000 swingaway at the moment, and although I've never used sand in it, it is horendous with bulk salt. The particulate is too small and moist for this spreader. As for dry sand, I would do this as a test. Take a handful of the sand you intend to use, when you make a fist and it still runs trough your fingers, you should be fine. Running a vibrator may help with it packing up.

3. xc23

xc23 Member

sand through 2000

Well I guess my next ques was answered already as well . I run bagged salt in the 2000. So far it works great but the price is not to competitive. I will try 100 lbs of sand on a test to see how it works ,I just don't want to chew up the bearing or hurt the motor.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

it wont work, but you can try it..

5. xc23

xc23 Member

Can you give me a little more info , Have you had any experince with sand in the unit . does it freeze up? Will it not spread properly? Does it damage the unit? Thanks

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a Western 1000. I have ran dry sand, kitty litter, oil dry and bagged salt through it. Even ran some wet salt through it but needed a vibrator to do the wet sand. All the dry materials were easy to use and webt through it with no problems.