1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand spreader recommendation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrd22, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jrd22

jrd22 Junior Member

Can anyone recommend a good v-box sand spreader? Are Buyers any good? Thanks for any info. John Davidson
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you looking for a Hydraulic, Gas or Electric?
  3. jrd22

jrd22 Junior Member

gas engine
  4. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Swenson makes a good spreader. Havent had any problems. Though next time I will go with their ice hawk engine/hydro unit. :cool:
  5. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

You can wire the electric one to your battery correct?, Can you wire a gas one to a switch to u just have to flip the switch to activate the spreader's motor?
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you asking- once the gas motor is running is there a switch to turn on the spreader? YES. Or do you want to know if you can start the gas motor from inside the cab? YES
    Generally speaking with a gas unit there are in cab controls that run the throttle up and down, a switch to turn the spreader on and a switch to start the motor. We run the power for the starter from the truck batteries instead of the salter having it's own battery.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a brand new Swenson this year and it has been great. I also have an old air flow that has also been good. My Monroe has caused me a few problems and I would not buy another one. The more cross pieces it has to drag the salt the better it would be in my opinion. Fisher also makes a nice unit. If you can afford a stainless steel one that would be the way to go.