1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand Spreader / de-icing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jvm81, Jan 4, 2005.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I am new to the site but not to snow removal. I run with a skid, a boomer utility tractor with front blower & walk behind blowers. 90% is all residential, I sub out all commercial accts. In my area - to many famers wanting to move snow, so therefore I don't fight em, I have them join me!

Anyway we are getting our first snow for the year. After Wed. forecast has about 8-12 inches with 20-30 mph wind.

We just had an inch of rain and ice. I use a broadcast spreader with pot. chlor. salt, and light sand mix. Works great for walks and small driveways.

There is an excavator company that pushes the big lots here in town. He just bought a sander for his truck. All he is using is straight sand. Looks like a hassel to me. He had one guy riding back there breaking/feeding the sand into the hopper all day.

I got lucky this year and was able to try 5 gallons of IA DOT liquid de-icer. I put in my backpack sprayer and tried it on some steps - works great.

I in my area, NW Iowa, what would be the wiser thing to pursue - sand spreader or de-icing rig? But with de-icer, I know very little. If I was to use a de-icer, I would mount a tank on one of your New Holland Boomers and give that a try on the churches, businesses, and apt. buildings we do.

2. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

20 some views and not one responce??????????????

3. lindsayC

lindsayC Junior Member

You mensioned De-icing and I am not sure what you ment.Clorides(salt Calcium & etc) can be used as Anti-icers(put down when snow starts to bond with pavement)to prevent build-up or they can be used as a de-icer after the event to melt ice and snow.I think you were talking about Liquid anti-icing and your ordinary sand spreader can be used for both Anti-icing and De-icing using granular materials. The Liquid system is cheaper to run because you will use less Clorides but involves a large start-up investment.I would try to use the sand spreader and either windrow salt or spin it off and learn what works best for your area.I live in the land of snow and my experiences will be different than yours.
    The other thing is about the lumpy sand your compeditor is using.If you mix 2-5% salt into the pile say goodbye to breaking up lumps.Most lumps will break up during the loading process without the use of loading screens. Again you will have to experiment with mixing piles to see what salt content is needed to provide a quality product. I use 3-4% in a indoor facility.
    I hope I didn't miss the mark when answering this thread.I hope I may of given you insight.

4. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Thank for replying. Yes, that is my question and now I have an answer. Our weather has been different this year. Usually snow in Nov. We just received our first 10 inches. Two days b/f we had 2 inches of rain and all ice. So we slipped all over yesterday removing snow!

5. lindsayC

lindsayC Junior Member

If you decide to try anti-icing go light with the salt or calcium. It doesn't require much to keep ice from bonding. It will create a salt slime next to the pave and you should be able to plow your way through a couple of cycles without reappling.You will find this quite slippery but it's better than ice. If its Freezing rain or pulling frost in the rain you will need to reapply more frequently.