1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand shed filled

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MSS Mow, Nov 17, 2012.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Sand shed is full for another winter. Estimated 200 yards in it.

001.jpg

004.jpg

008.jpg

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

how big is the shed? how big is your door opening? how long do you think that will last you(200 yds)

3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't have the exact measurements but I would say the building is around 24x36. Might be a little smaller. Door opening is probably 12' wide.

This will last me a couple years.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

its nice to have sand at ur shopp so u dont have to count on other people nice shed hope we get some snow soon so u can start using it

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I ask cause it looks like the size I'd want, It is real nice having it on hand, here I cant get and sand on weekends so I got to make sure I have some before weekends, would love to have a sand/salt shed & the place to put it. Happy plowing this year!

6. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Why stock sand for a few years? Why not sure the shed in the summer for other equipment storage, like plow/sand equipment? Is it that much of a savings to buy bulk?

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That's always a good feeling to have a full shed. Looks good Dean.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Always good to have plenty of sand available here on the coast. Couple of icy storms could put a big dent in the pile and big $$$ in your pocket.

How hot are you mixing your sand these days?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  9. fireside

fireside Senior Member

In my area buying bulk saves over 75% over what you would buy it from in a yard. the cost is pricless to always have product no mater what time of day or night.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  10. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Any problem with the walls pushing out with the weight on the walls? How about the intirior walls look like plywood?

11. ByDesign

ByDesign Senior Member

I agree. Why sit on a few years worth of sand? Seems like a rather interesting business decision, unless in the summer you are using sand as well. That being said, I think it looks great!!!!

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

First, it's only a couple years worth. Second, like others have said, it's nice to have plenty on hand regardless of what the winter brings. Two years ago, everyone was out of sand in February and we all were scrambling big time to get more screened/salted. There is no such thing as having too much on hand.

If the building is empty come spring, the owner will use it to store wrecked cars, but it's not critical to have it available.

I would prefer to have too much than not enough. When I said it would last a couple years, that would be for a "typical" winter. We know what "typical" can turn into. After running out a couple years ago, I don't want to do that again. Plowing snow at 3am and not knowing where the sand you need by 6am is going to come from is NOT a good feeling. Especially when the one I usually count on as a back up was calling me to see if I had any they could use!!

The walls may move out slightly but no serious problems. The building is not mine, but is that of a friend who used to plow snow. He doesn't use the building anymore so he's letting me use it. It is not a "tight" building. It keeps the snow/rain off the sand and that's all that matters.

13. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Absolutely!!! As you know, if we have a rainy (aka icy) winter, we can go through A LOT of sand! And I'm one of the only guys around that actually has my own stockpile (besides the towns) so it's quite handy not having to rely on someone else in the middle of the night when I need to get loaded.

14. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I hear ya.... I built my sand shed with cement Mafia Blocks up 6' high..... I fill it every year ...Because you never know what winter will bring..... I havn't seen the back wall since it's been built... But thats OK with me :)

15. Fwilamosky

Fwilamosky Junior Member

congrats on the fill man. how do you move it all in there? i'm assuming the semi-truck doesn't dump it inside the shed since it's not tall enough.

16. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Well the part left over from last year went in with a John Deere 5055 Tractor. Then the new stuff this year went in with a John Deere 990 tractor for the first part and then had to be finished with a Cat Skid Steer with tracks on it (not sure on the model). The skid with tracks was the only way to get it stacked high enough to get it all in. They brought the sand with two different dump trucks, one a 14 yard and one a 25 yard, both straight jobs. They could dump in the door way with about half ending up inside/half outside. The last couple loads had to be dumped outside.

17. bluerider

bluerider Junior Member
    from vermont

Do you ever have any problems with the sand freezing? I would think that the concrete floor would be cold enough that you might.

18. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

People still use sand? 200 yards of it? I haven't use more then a yard of two of sand in 10 years.

19. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Would you put straight salt on a dirt road or driveway?

20. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

If you have permeable surfaces you use sand, not salt. AKA we use sand on gravel/dirt roads & lots.