1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sand/salt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowtown, Oct 9, 2007.

1. plowtown

plowtown Junior Member

Is there a figure in square ft. a yard of sand/salt will cover? General application after a plow.

What should the mark up be when spreading a yard or two?

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

these are broad ?'s but i'll try to help. you'll have better luck doing a search.
    1. 30,000-200,000 sq feet
    2.$50-$400 per yard
    welcome to PS

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is this salt pre-treated with Magic or BS. LOL J/K

4. plowtown

plowtown Junior Member

Thanks! I'm looking to salt/sand 25,000 sq. ft. of entrances/exits to parking areas for a restaurant and adjacent business. Having never done sanding before, will a yard adequately cover this area. I'm looking at approximately a 10% grade at these entrances.

If I buy a yard for $30 how much should I charge for spreading it?

5. plowtown

plowtown Junior Member

What is Magic and BS?

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I only spread salt but yes 1 yard will easily cover that area. I don't know pricing in your area for spreading but I'm guessing $50-100 + material. Somebody else from your area will hopefully help you better. Good Luck

7. Jay brown

1 yard will do this area fine. here is what I would charge for spreading it
    V-box: $300 per hour plus material
    mini truck spreader: $100/hr plus material
    walk behind push cart: $35/hr plus material

8. Jay brown

it's a chemical that is sprayed on salt when it comes out of the spreader and helps it work in lower temps. also it's sprayed on the salt ahead of time.

9. plowtown

plowtown Junior Member

Jay & Dave thanks! You've been a big help. I've only plowed driveways for a 2 yrs and now have a chance to step up. But I'll need to sand/salt and haven't purchased the spreader yet. I'm looking at V-box, Salty Dog brand and stainless. Have an F-350 Diesel PU. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Just thought of another ?. Both of these new accounts are businesses and one is an active restaurant. How do you charge if you have to return for a replow of the same storm?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  10. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i would suggest a vbox i bought mine new from www.angelos-supplies.com they had the best price i could find

Q#2 charge them twice i would, there ain't no sence in plowing twice and giving them one
    the $30 yd sounds cheap it must have sand with it, i will not use sand just because it makes a mess. but it's mostly it's used as a bargaining chip to get the bid the first year, if you buy bag chloride you might exceed the relm of Jay's estimates $50-400

MY QUESTION TO THE REST OF YOU
    do you use 100%salt or sand/salt or trated salt, if you use san/salt what ratio do you blend it or buy it blended