1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand / Salt Storage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jan 28, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Right now i am buying sand/ salt mix for 16 dollars a yard, from a local supplier. We have a key to his loader, so loading the trucks isn't a problem. Only this summer i plan to renovate the yard. I want to add a salt/sand building. For those of you that store your own sand and salt, how do ya store it?<p>Geoff
  2. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

we dont have any local yards nearby so i have to store it.use a 3 sided bld. open side opp.of perdomit wind<p>----------<br>Todd <br>
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Better check with DEP first, here a few years back the town had to shell out big bux since the salt pile wasnt covered and leached into a farmers stock pond and spoiled it, now it has to be covered shed with retention basin nearby. Its been several years since Ive seen open piles but Im not too sure of the min requirements.<p>Bill
  4. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

We use on of our shop bays for salt storage. It's block wall on both sides and the dump trailer can get inside somewhat to dump. We Bobcat the rest on in. Always dry.<br>
  5. snowblade

snowblade Junior Member

The Salt Institute has a small packet on salt storage called &quot;The Salt Storage Handbook.&quot; Their website is:http://www.saltinstitute.org, they have a lot of info about salt storage,use,etc. Anyways, most guys in my area have storage bins made out of big concrete blocks. They put tarps over the piles. Some guys have a small cover-it garage over the pile. <p>Justin