1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand salt mix

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by B Nick, Nov 13, 2009.

1. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Is it a myth? Or will mixing a little salt or ice melter in your sand keep it from freezing?

2. It is common practice for county and state trucks in michigan
    we use as little salt as possible

use coarse sharp sand and darn little salt

tc

3. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

great, thanks

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'm guessing myth..only because sand freezes because of the moisture in it and salt freezes for the same reasons...

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Not a myth! Very common practice here in Maine for both public and private contractors. Typically 15-20 lbs of salt per 100lbs of sand is common. 15 if you typically keep it covered and closer to 20 if its uncovered.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 1 contract that calls for sand/salt mix. I mix ours. I use 30% salt and sharp sand. Never had it freeze if it is mixed completely.

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

school district we plow throws a salt/sand mix. don't know the mixture.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Key thing is to make sure it is mixed really well.

9. WISnowPlower

WISnowPlower Junior Member

We also belived our sand/salt mix (70/30) wouldn't freeze but we found if we got below zero we had some problems, our solution was to mix in liquid deicer into the mix (can't remember the ratio we used), used a product called M6. Worked great for us could leave the trucks loaded and had no problems with freeze up

10. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Great thanks guys for all you input!