1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sand/salt mix price

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike9497, Jan 9, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i finally got going this year getting commercial accounts.so i went to get a new spreader and fired up my dump truck with the dump bed sander body.went out to the landscape supply about a block from my house.loaded up both trucks.4 yds in one and 2 yds in the other.went in the office to tell them to put it on my tab.
    it came to $349.80.my mouth went down to the floor and i felt like fanting.....lol lol.when i went there last year to pickup the same amount it was $159.00 what a change the year makes.went from $25.00 per yrd to $55.00 per yrd in one year.don't even ask about how much bulk salt is.but i guess in a way i am lucky because the lady who lives next door to me handles all the sales so i have a feeling since i said something to her this afternoon.that she will like always with mulch stone topsoil sand/salt not bill me.2 seasons ago i ordered about 30 yards of sand/salt mix and i never got a bill for it so i think it was because of her.well i hope it was anyway.....lol.but looks like sand/salt will be high priced this year...lol

2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Wow.... What a price goug.... I pay $15 per yard salt sand mix. It has been that price for the last 3 years.
    I thought that was bad enough.

Rick

3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i should move up there....lol lol.never seen it lower than $20.00 per yrd the other supplier in ct wants $65.00 per yrd.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My cost for sand/salt:
    Last year: $30/yd
    This year: $35/yd

Loaded in my spreader.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

same as Mick,last yr 30,this yr 35,loaded.

6. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

Price around here varies, the lowest is about $30, the highest is about $45 per yard. It really isn't too hard to find an 80/20 mix for $30-35.
    I will say one other thing in defense of the seller ... if you figurr that for an 80/20 mix, you have 4 yards of sand and 1 yard of salt.
    Cost to the seller ...
    4 x $12 = 48
    1 x $40 = 40

Total : $88 divided by 5 = $17.60 a yard of mix.

At $35 a yard for an 80/20 mix, he is just doing what most suppliers do by doubling his cost ....

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

$27 a ton here just got a another load in same price as last year too.

8. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I pay 179.00 cdn incuding tax for a dump truck load of salt/sand mix delivered. It works out to about $12/ yard. I can't believe the difference in prices! I guess it might be a supply/demand thing.

9. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

$15.00 per cu yard for straight sand and add another $5.00 per yard which I mix up myself it keeps it at a lower price. I can have it premixed for $25.00 per yard

10. rainair

rainair Senior Member

Grain of salt

does anyone have their website or phone number or fax #

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Their name is "With a Grain of Salt":
    http://www.withagrainofsalt.com/