1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand/Salt mix in tailgate sreaders.... good idea?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Somerville Stud, May 7, 2013.

1. Somerville Stud

Somerville Stud Junior Member
    from /

Hi,

Going to get a tailgate spreader for next season. Not sure which to buy yet.

I was planning on spreading a sand/salt mix. about a 3:1 ratio.

Concerns- will the sand mix negatively impact the performance of the spreader? Will some spreaders perform better with this mix then others?

What are your experiences?

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Most tailgate spreaders dont work with a sand-salt ratio like you mention, but not to worry cause there are a few that spread sand like you want to. The prob is sand compacts & weighs alot so you need a spreader that can handle sand. The ones that can do sand, ain't cheap. Dont try with a salt spreader cause it wont work like you need it to.

3. Somerville Stud

Somerville Stud Junior Member
    from /

That's what i thought. Do you know of who makes a tailgate spreader that can ahndle sand?

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The Airflo MSS will spread sand/salt. Don't load it until you need to use it. If you plow with it loaded it will pack.

5. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

BOSS makes a nice 800# spreader, not cheap though. I tried a salt Dogg spreader, it's junk.

6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Sand & salt spreaders

SnowEx makes a couple tailgate spreaders that will spread salt and sand mix. We use the 1875 model and run several of them. Check them out.

7. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

I could not even run bulk in a mini with out the vibrator

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The airflow was the first sander I owned, it really is a mini v box. It's a tried and true design, been around forever. Built like a tank ,no cheap plastic, works well with sand.

9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The western pro flo 2 is a tailgate that will run straight sand.