1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand/Salt Mix amount

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by huskertaz, Oct 13, 2004.

1. huskertaz

huskertaz Junior Member

Well, I have viewed this site for over a year now and just finally registered. Last year was my first plowing and what a great year it was. Getting another plow for my other truck this year. Also, landed 6 apartment complexes that want sand and salt service. My question is about how much product to apply. I have seen people recommend about 200 lbs salt/40,000 square feet and 400 lbs sand/40,000 square feet. If I do a ratio of 3:2 (sand:salt) which is 40% salt, does that still come out to about 500 lbs of product per 40,000 or am I doing this wrong? Any help would be useful. I am not sure if you put this much down or you just lower the amount since I am using a mix. Thanks.
  2. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

how much sand and salt?

Hey Huskertaz
    Scroll down and check out Similiar treads at the bottom of your post!
  3. huskertaz

huskertaz Junior Member

I guess my real question is that if I do the mix of sand and salt am I going to be putting down about 500 lbs of material per 40,000 square feet? It seems like a lot, but to get everything to work right that is what I am supposed to do? Or not?
  4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We use 100% bulk rock salt. Works better than sand/salt mix, less material is required, don't have to fill the spreader as often, it's lighter than mix, and what customers love the most, is that there is no mess in the lot to track into their offices, and have to be swept up in the spring.