1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand/salt application rate

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ry_rock, Oct 13, 2014.

1. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

For those of you who measure and calculate the amount of material that you apply. When spreading a sand/salt mixture how many pounds per acre are you putting down for coverage?

Also how many pounds of straight salt are you putting down per acre

Numbers seem to be all over the board, just trying to get an average number. I know it depends on temperature and conditions etc

2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Straight salt is anywhere from 6 to 800 pounds a acre based on elements. I don't know about sand, I don't use it
  3. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

For salt I think a good estimate would be around 1k/ac, we use treated and use about 500-700lbs.

Never used straight though so could be off
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't that everyone.... :confused:
  5. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I use straight salt (no sand) but prewet with Liq. Mag. Chloride as it comes out of the spreader. Depending on temps and time of day, I can get as low as 300lbs/acre, but typically it is about 400-700/acre for me.