1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sand question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Evan Freiling, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Evan Freiling

Evan Freiling Junior Member

I was asked to apply sand to sidewalks on an account.My question is what kind and the best way to apply it. They want sand olny for the fear of pitting the new concrete,cal/mag are out of the question.They said sand olny or we will find someone else.Heres the funny thing we apply rocksalt to the parkinglot, hmm like thats not going to get tracked on the walks.Thanks for help

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=45232&highlight=salt+concrete
    Great post on Concrete and Salt.

How many feet, yards or miles of walk are there? How wide are they ? Enough to justify a small electric hopper spreader?

http://www.snoway.com/electric-v-box-spreaders.cfm

snowex has a skid steer mount that would allow the installation of a 1875 Sand pro on a skid steer.

for smaller areas a 5 gallon bucket and a scoop for hand shaking.

With more information about the job site the guys can advise you better
    :waving:

3. Evan Freiling

Evan Freiling Junior Member

sand

Thanks for the spreading info,but they probally wont let us use equipment on the walks.Depending on the consistency of the sand we will probally use broadcast spreaders.What kind of sand though?

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I fill 5 gallon pails about 3/4 full, grab one throw it under my arm, tilting it forward, stick my other hand in and flick it out. works pretty well and its the fastest. I do the same thing for salt on around walks where they dont want equip. I usually just divide the truck bed with boards and load up the bed and head out. if you pre load the pails they tend to pack down and its harder to get out.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Better try the broadcast spreaders before the season starts. sand dosn't like gravity hoppers.

6. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

broadcast spreaders probably wont work. best method is the 5 gallon pails.

or set up a few 55 gallon barrels every like 50-100 ft and then use a snow shovel to get matierial out and then hold the shovel in your left hand and use your right to "broadcast" it out. works very well for us.

7. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

You could get 80# bags of graded sand from a mason supply that probably would go through a broadcast spreader. Just can't get it wet! once it's wet, It's over with! I just payed 6.00 a bag for sandblasting....