1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand pile

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MSS Mow, Dec 3, 2009.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Because we all like pictures of EVERYTHING, here are a couple shots of the sand pile that got completed yesterday. She's tarped now, but it was dark before I had a chance to snap a pic of that.

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

2. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

wow how many tons do you run out in a season? do you mix it with salt? what ratio?

3. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

That's going to make a pretty good castle! Do you use plow stakes for the flags on top of the towers?

4. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, that must be alot cheaper than salting. Duh.

5. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How maney yards is it?

7. THE-BOSS-PLOWS

THE-BOSS-PLOWS Senior Member

Is there salt in that? Wouldnt sand just stick and get wet

8. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I think he said he tarped it..

9. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

holy crap thats a whole lotta beach!

10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Yes, I do mix it with salt. 12-1 ratio this year.

That's one expensive sand castle!! But yes, I would use plow stakes. :D

Cheaper? yeah I guess. Doesn't clean pavement though. Works great on gravel driveways though where salt would do no good.

100 ;)

Yes, there is salt. About a 12-1 ratio. I now have it covered with a tarp though, to keep most moisture off it.

11. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Is that 12 part sand to 1 part salt, or vice versa?

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

12 parts sand, 1 part salt. I'm beginning to think I should have gone more of a 10-1 or 8-1, but not the end of the world. I'll just have some clumps on the outside of the pile.

13. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

I don't even like using 50/50 I think there's too much sand

14. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Now Seattle is using salt. Took last year to change that. :angry: Of course it didn't help that after the weather guys said a large snow storm was going to hit (winter storm warning) and on top of not using salt they didn't even put trucks on the road. The city I work for didn't have one plow out before the storm and during the storm. Makes responding to emergencies very difficult.

The snow would get ruts, ice up then snow and repeat. It was worse then a 100 year old cobble stone road. Very annoying.

15. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I would prefer straight salt on any of my paved lots, but that's not what the customers want. People in this area are accustomed to having sand on their lots, and that's what they want. So, that's what they get.

16. PLOW-KING

PLOW-KING Member

We use 10 to 1 and it works good.:waving: