1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand per Acre

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sdplowing, Sep 2, 2008.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

How much sand salt mix per acre? I know, I know but the customer wants sand.:confused:

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

4 ton/acre, make it a beach, they won't ask for it again.....or have to go south to see the beach.:rolleyes:

3. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Except they will probably hire someone else:(

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

If I had to guess, I would say 800 lbs an acre.

Good Question

Bossman

5. fireside

fireside Senior Member

It will depend on sand and salt mix ratio. We use a 60/40 (sand to salt)or we add more salt depending on conditions. You will need 1/2 ton to due the the main runways only to due the whole acre about 1 to 1 1/2 tons depending on conditions. We do the main runways and heavy ice areas and let the traffic carry the product. you will find sand mix more expensive than salt. Here salt only is not used very much people want to still see a mess!

6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Good point. Just about everybody here uses a sand/salt mix. Salt only when places specifically ask for it. About 1 - 1.5 tons sounds about right, depending on how much else you do besides the main drives.

7. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Well crap. I'm gonna need a bigger truck. It's a brand new parking lot so I should be able to scrape it real clean. Hopefully I can get away with less than a ton.:dizzy:

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

If you keep the lot clean with little pack down you will use half a ton at most to do the whole lot. It also depends on traffic in the lot and time of day.

9. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

That's what I was hoping. It looks like the lot will get alot of sun as well.