1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sand gettin stuck on screen?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jeff45, Feb 1, 2006.

1. jeff45

jeff45 Junior Member

ok so i sand for the city of quincy, its a mix of salt and sand. everytime they load me up alot of the mix gets stuck on the top of the screen of the sander and doesnt fall down into the hopper..know what im saying? is there anything special to buy to stop this?

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

There's not much you can do, except have the loader operator mix up the pile a bit before he loads you up. This will break up some of the frozen pieces of material. When the materials are frozen or wet, this will happen. You can bring a sledge hammer with you to break up the stuff on top of the screen.
  3. jeff45

jeff45 Junior Member

its not even the frozen chunks, its everything, the sand just builds up on top,after the hopper gets low on sand the built up sand that was dumped in on top just stays there instead of falling down into the hopper
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Some sanders I've seen have an inverted "V" screen, so that chunks would fall off. Mine is flat and I do like plowed and break them up with a small sledge hammer. I just saw your second post - I'd imagine that the sand is frozen underneath. Not much you can do if they're loading that much. Can you have them load less? I'd say they have too little salt if this is a sand/salt mix. If it's straight sand, it shouldn't be such a big chunk that it's plugging the whole screen. Can you have them scrape off the top (which is more likely to be frozen) and load you with the looser stuff underneath?

Actually, I think I'd find a different supplier if it's that bad.
  5. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

they are prolly dumping the bucket quickly...this happens with my bobcat if i tip it too quick....gradual flow into the screen and it will fall thru, unless its frozen which means too little salt in the mix.

We mix our own and do 7 half yard buckets of sand to 1 half yard bucket of salt, im sure you could put more salt and make the mix "hot" but for us it gives good traction on ice and has enough melting power for the hardpack.

If you still have a problem and its NOT frozen matierial on top, just jump up there and push it thru with your feet, or have the operator gently tap it down with the bucket.