1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand Conveyor Stoping help pls

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by godlycanada, Feb 19, 2007.

1. godlycanada

godlycanada Junior Member

With half a load on truck about 6 ton it works good, But with a full load of 12 ton it stops but not at first. if tested in yard it turns but when we drive for 20 min it stops. It has enough pressure to flex the side of the box that mounts the worm gear.

Repaires tried. New chain, Bearings, Gears, motor and gearbox.

some times you can revurse the chain for 6 in and it will hit forward hard enough and start.

could if be the floor. it looks to be good but some rust on the box rails along the frame.

2. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

Do you have a deflector plate above the chain? If not thats your problem.To much weight is directly on the chain and it can't move. If you have a deflector it's possible your material is freezing on route to your jobsite.

3. godlycanada

there is a 2 inch wide flatbar above the chain one the sides
    the funny thing is this box is about 5 years old and just started this stopping problem
    thanks for your help
    i can add some to protect the chain sides and try that though

4. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

The deflector is a usually about 6''or so above the chain. It's shaped like an inverted V . It's as wide as the chain and almost as long as the box. The weight of the salt sits on the deflector not the chain.If you don't have one adding one might do the trick but since it worked fine in the past something has changed. Did you check the hydraulic pressure? Maybe a relief valve could bet dirty or set low. Did you change the hydraulic motor? How are the bearings on the not driven end of the chain? Hope this helps Randy

5. godlycanada

The bearings on both ends are all new
    the box used to have a orbit motor and we thought that was the problem, so we chainged it out to a motor and a gearbox but still stoped. There is enough pressure it gets so tight that it snaped the keyway 2 times and took out one gearbox.
    i am at the shop now and will try to add to the deflector that is in the box currently.

Thanks i will let you know.

6. godlycanada

Thank you It works finaly
    the chain was only covered by 1/4 in so i added to the sides and there is no drag any more. the boys this fall replaced the chain and put one 2 in to narrow in it. I tested it in our yard with a overload of 15 tonnes and drove around and it still works

Thank you again