1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand blasting

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RH31379, Sep 6, 2011.

1. RH31379

RH31379 Member

I'm looking to refinish my snow plow and think it's about time I purchase a portable sand blaster. Just looking for some opinions on what to buy. I was leaning toward the closed type / pressure can. I have a big compressor so not to worried about air supply. I'm looking to use black beauty sand.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Siphon feed is more controlled and wastes less media.

Define big compressor.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

For the kind of blasting you want you might consider just going to a rental place. Here in Calgary there is a place called Consolidated Compressor. They charge about $100 and hour but they have blasters that work with no dicking around. I personally have two blasters, one little hand held suction feed and a larger gravity feed. Both are a pain in the behind! The little one is far to slow and the big one makes such a huge mess & plugs up all the time. I spent more time messing with it than it was worth. There are so many types of sand too and you have to have the correct tip to work well with each type. If you have your plow dissasembled and you go to a rental place it will take less than an hour and you don't have to clean up after your done. I only use my own blasters for very small jobs.
  4. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

I just got done sandblasting and painting a friends 8.5' plow blade. It took me 40 min to do the face of the blade w 2 100lb bags of OO sand. And over 2 hours to do the back w 7 50lb bags of black beauty. I have a 175 ingersoll compressor and a Sanstorm 300lb pot. Powder-coating is the most difficult think I have encountered.

I would think twice about trying to sandblast it yourself unless you have some commercial equipment
  5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I completely agree with everyone. I like to do things myself but i would get some quotes and price out sand and see what your time is worth. Then it might seem like an alright deal to pay someone. I wanted to do my dump trailer, I started and after an hour I realized it would take forever. Priced it all out and it cost me about 250-300 more but that was also primed. Factor in my time and it was a sweet deal.