1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand blasting???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sharpshooter77, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

does anyone in the boston, mass area know of a sand blasting shop. I bought a used reading utility body and I want to have it blasted before I put it on my truck. The under side is kinda rusty and alittle on the edges, I do have acces to my bosses john deere tow behind compressor. I have one of the little gravity feed jobs but I don't think it up o the task. I was looking at some bigger setup the price wasn't to bad. And I have a big yard to do it in, Also what kinda of media would be best for heavy rust metal. let me know,

2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I use fine Black Beauty mostly, medium sometimes. Media size depends on tip size and compressor volume. Your siphon blaster will take way too long. You could expect to pay $150-$200 or so around here for someone with a big pressure pot to do it.
  3. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Just an FYI, make sure to use a non-silica sand. Black Beauty is made specifically for sand blasting. I have seen people using sand box sand or other types of sand that say right on the bag, not to be used for sand blasting due to the danger of Silicosis. Black Beauty is basically blast furnace slag and is supposed to be pretty safe. A respirator should be used no matter what.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Leo cavalier in Acton does sand blasting
    I have them do my stuff

Leo S. Cavelier, Inc.
    14 Wetherbee St.
    Acton, MA 01720
  5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

call a rental place and see if they rent them, you have the compressor to do it and it should only take around a day with a good blaster and compressor! prjects are always fun, if your going to paint it your best bet is going to be a epoxy paint real tough and holds up well
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010