1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand Barrels

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BWinkel, Nov 7, 2003.

1. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Anyone out there offer a service of supplying self service sand/salt barrells? I see some neighborhoods and commercial buldings that have a plastic barrel on a stand with sand/salt mix and a coffe can inside. I was thinking I could offer it as yearly contract item - supplying the stand, barrel and keeping it full. I'm not sure if it would work. Has anyone tried this?
  2. tileman

tileman Member

No I have not heard of anyone who has done this.
    But the idea sounds like you could make some money on some commercial accts. Like walk ways, steps, over head doors. We all have accts where they use salt and or sand , Some where we clean just the drives, and parking lots and not the sidewalks, and steps.:D :D

3. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I would first try to sell them on you spreading the salt or sand. By the time you haul the salt or sand to the site for them, it wouldn't cost that much more to spread it.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I supply one sell them the barrel then charge to fill it up and refill as needed .
  5. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

I figured the barrel would be for walks, steps or small areas that refroze. You could still sell the sanding for the entire lot.
  6. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

We actually have a couple of accounts where we do something like that, however it is not big barrels, simply 7 gallon buckets of calcium which these places keep by thier entrances and if they have a small re freeze or hazardous condition they can put some material down without placing a service call to us and paying for a site visit. Then when we go to the site for an event we refill the buckets and charge them for the material we use.
  7. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

In Delaware our DOT will leave barrels at the entrances to subdivisions if they request it for free.

WOOFSPLOW Member

I think it's a good idea and at least trying it to see if there is any interest. I only see them on hills around here, for use when someone can't get up the hill - don't really know who supplies them. Anything to try and make another buck is worth it to me.payup
  9. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I agree with you. Possibly try entrances to shopping centers and office buildings. It would be worth it to you to at least look into it. I am not interested in doing it myself just because I have too much work as it is.

10. parboy

parboy Junior Member
    from nh

We have a couple of larger ofiice buildings (medical offices) and we place a plastic tote at each entrance.We fill them with ice-melt and re-fill as needed. The acounts are seasonal so it benifits us in the long run and keeps the customer happy .They feel like their getting somthing for nothing!