1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sand and Salt/Sand Mix in V Box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Oasis, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Ok now that there is a salt shortage just about everywhere.... I was wondering...
    Around here places are begining to sell salt again but with a salt sand mix. I have a dual electric Air Flow VBox spreader. I was wondering does anyone have any opinons as to whether I might have problems with jamming in the belt or elsewhere in the spreader with a sand mix. Is there any other precautions that I should take while using this mix. I powerwash the spreader after every application anyways but just want to know if i should expect other problems

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I have no experience with the air flows however around here alot of guys run 2 vibrators when running sand, I guess it just helps things flow a little better, especially when really wet.

Cheers

3. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

ya ive heard that but vibrators in an 8 foot box spreader?

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your spreader will be fine, bring a broom handle or a hockey stick because it might bridge abit. Even on our big spreader the sand bridges, you just have to get up every once in a while and knock it down. It's not worth getting a vibrator for the amount you want to use. JMO

6. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Thanks Dave,

Do you ever find that you get sand stuck under the belt though????? Thats what i was most concerned about.

I would imagine that washing it out remains the same as far as procedure wise.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

First off I think you have a bed chain, not a belt. The bed chain is better IMO. Sand will not be any harder on your spreader then salt.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I used a sand/salt mix for years with a Vbox. The sand won't cause any specific problems with the chain.

9. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

thanks guys,,,, ill tell my distributor that the sand salt mix is fine then. I was running out of things to put down for ice control......