1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

same question as last yer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Nov 24, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Call me a noob but i still dont quite get it.

start plowing at 12. stop at 8.

first few places i plow have been snowed on for 8 hours. thell have to be redone again. whereas the last few people i plow wont.

seems it would always be unfair for the people i do in the first couple hours.
  2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

If its taking you that long to plow your route your in trouble already.
    So you can either:
    Add more trucks, Sub out, Tell them you'll bb within 12 hrs or Drop 1/2 your route.

I have no other ideas...........
  3. birddseedd

how long is your route?
  4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry birddseedd, but I dont know what to say to you, if you dont get how the game works & how to make it work for you, then all I can say is good luck.

I will say this, why are you asking this? are your customers complaining about this? My guess is no, so why are you worrieing about it. My wife(who knows nothing about plowing,snow removal ect.) just read this & she gets it, so i think it safe to say the customers get it.
    you cant be everywhere at once
    you cant make a living off of one customer(with a rare exeption)
    you cant control when it snows & how much it snows.

Again (no offence) if you dont get it by now, well........good luck
  5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I agree your route takes to long then. I always tried for between 4-6 hrs depending on snow amount.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

No snow storm stops by 11pm anyway.

It's all a matter of storm timing when you get to these people.

I just got a couple of request for estimates where they said that they needed plowed out specifically by 7am. 15% of the time, it's probably not going to happen, if not more. You can't say a storm will always end at a specific time.

I will be explaining this to them in my estimate.

7. birddseedd

what i tell people, for residential anyway, is i cannot promise to be there by a specific time simply because i cannot control when the snow will fall. but i can promise that you will always be able to use yoru drive way.

i guess its how wipnes says. stick to a smaller route wiht more guys.
  8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Sound like your starting your route too early. For me if it's not a big storm (8'') I will not drop the blade on my res accounts till the storm is in it's last hour. I f it's a bigger storm they get plowed 2 times. On my comm accounts within the first 2'' and we keep plowing them till the last flake.
  9. birddseedd

well. i start my commercial ones first. about 2 inches of fall. and honestly in the last coupel years we havnt really had anymore than 2 inches at a time. maybe once or twice, inwhich hte storm was over before i got the the residentail. i guess im just thinking of the big storms we used to have when you woudl be out for 24 hrs straight polowing.
  10. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

4 hours MAX on a 6" snowfall.

(16) Residentials
    (3) Patio Home Complexes- 90 Drives total & a 1-1/2 mile roadway.
    (4) Lots under 1/2 acre
    (3) Lots over 1 acre
    1/2 mile of sidewalks combined

3 trucks & a seperate sidewalk crew.

2 trucks plow full time, I jump around routes, then give myself an hr to salt.
  11. birddseedd

I start my day doing 3 school lots under a acre each. i work with another guy and hoping to have a 3rd guy. this i simply get 35 an hr and pay 25 an hour per guy. subcontracted. and a sidewalk crew about the same

my direct clients

about 25 drives (still waiting on the list)
    a small lot
    lot under acre with a smalish walk way
    1-1.5 acre lot
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Dang WOW
    you charge 35 per hr
  13. birddseedd

thats sub contracted. he pays 35 an hour for anyone he can find with a truck willing to work for 35 an hour.
  14. birddseedd

frankly its kidna pointless. tbh. last year i made some 800 with him and 5 k on my own. but it was 800 i didnt have. this year iv actualy got people working for me. lol, i pay them 25 an hour. hard to find guys willing to do that.
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Last year was a very slow for me I gross 20k for 3 snow storms and 5 salt treatments runs

I hope we get more Ice or the 1'' snowfall I make more

I pay 50-60 to a sub if they have a plow equal to mine + I pay all fuel
  16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

My COSTS are over $40 an hour for a pickup w/plow. Do you know your COSTS? Heck my break even point for a skid steer is about $60-65 per billable hour.

I know that some bigger companies might have their costs down to less because they have their overhead spread out farther. But I would find it hard to believe that the true costs could get much lower for a smaller company.
  17. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Um The concept of money isn't fair, life isn't fair, mortgages and banking are criminal. You are plowing snow that someone wants you to do, IT'S FAIR to do so!! YOUR bills need to be paid TOO! Including the bill you give to your customers. Don't worry be happy.....
  18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How far you driving? That's about 3-4 hrs.
  19. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

You don't even know your own costs. At $35.00 an hour you're loosing money. You're not even paying your taxes. You are paying taxes on your 1099, right???? Subbing out your truck, you should be at $75.00 on your route you should be making $125.00 an hour.
  20. birddseedd

Thats pretty dang good pay. around here high pay for a sub is 45 an hour. no gas