1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

same person calls year after year!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by go plow, Oct 13, 2005.

1. go plow

go plow Senior Member

hi guys, has anyone ever had a person call you, that has called you in the past? just to waste your time? ive been to this guys house 12 times in the past 6 years and he still calls, do they think that if they call you every year your price will go down?, i went and looked at his driveway monday, just to give him the price that ive givin him last year and the year before and so on, he told me the same thing the price sounds good but he called others before me and he likes how promp i am with my service..... i dont get it, i pay so much in fuel, just to waste it on people like that!!!!!
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Next time he calls, just be frank with him.

"Yes, hi Mr. Soandso. I remember you. I've been out to see your property 12 times in the past 6 years, and have yet to ever get any business from you. I am not just a free comparative-quoting service. I will only come if you are serious about hiring me this year, otherwise, the price is $xxxx based on what I have seen before."

If he gets smart with you, just end it with an overly cheerful 'Have a Nice Day!!' and hang up the phone.

You don't need people like this. Imagine how often he would call if he hired you!
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

So why do you keep going out there? If nothing about the place has changed, you should be able to just give him a price over the phone. If you're truly fed up with him, just tell him your not interested in plowing for him.
  4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

MICK, i guess after talking to so many people durring the year i forget who ive talked to......i should make a list of all the people like him and post it in my office, maybe that will help?
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a winning idea to me......:rolleyes:
  6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

What I have done is got a three ring binder and keep all estimates in it. I glance at it after I have spoke to them to see if I have given them a price before.If so they get a phone call back and basically tell them what Mick said to do.This includes the lawncare too.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I keep a record on my computer of every bid I've ever made and every place I've ever plowed. Even the one-time plows. If someone calls me and I think maybe I've been there before, all I have to do is go through the list.
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I use Quick Books and it stores all my estimates from day 1. All the way back ti 1996 when I started useing it. Plus there is a place for notes for each Customer or Vender.
  9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We have a Self-Storage facility that calls us every year. For the first three years, we went out and quoated him. We never got any work from him. We still got calls from him 4 years after that. We quoated him over the phone (his property neever changed, we pass it every day) the same amount for the past seven years. Two years ago we lowballed him, never planning to do the job. He called and said that we finally won the account and then he faxed us the paperwork. He required so much ridiculous stuff (certain brands of ice melt, 5 million dollar insurance and work comp, workers to wear lime vests, etc) that we called him and said that we were going to pass. He couldn't beleive it and was really astonished that we didn't want to do the job. I asked him if he was happy with the guy he had and the price he was paying and he said yes. Then I asked him why he wanted to send the job out for re-bids when he was alreadyy satisfied with the work and the price. He said that if he could save $20, better to have it in his pocket then in mine. I asked him if it was worth the $20 to "hope" the next contractor would give him satisfactory service and he said money is money. I told him we passed on the job because we are loyal to our customers and go out of our way to give them great service but also expect them to be somewhat loyal to us. Something he obviously didn't understand. Go figure... :confused:
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Invoice him for the estimate, betcha he won't call back.
  11. go plow

go plow Senior Member

you all have made very good points, thanks you for your input/ ideas
    its great that we can go on here and help each other......thanks guys!!!!!!!
  12. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Take your last bid and double it! Then see if he calls back.:gunsfiring:
  13. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Just price it so far over his head and up it every year he calls.... he will stop callin

14. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

If I was NJ Plowman I'd make it a high even figure and add $20.;)