1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Same down pressure issue.

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Pearcelawn, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I am still having the same problem with my down pressure. The two bolts that came loose the first time have come loose 2 more times despite the addition of some Loctite red. They already have the nylon lined lock nuts and I do not think the bolts are long enough for jam nuts.

Would the best way to solve this be to replace the bolts and add the jam nuts?

Any other suggestions welcome. Had to tighten them down again tonight and boy was it cold out there!!! Temp is 5 with a good stiff wind.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Not really sure about the details of your problem, but I would get rid of the jam nuts and go to nylon lock nuts. I've never had any problems with those type of nuts. If the current bolt isn't long enough, get a longer one if there is space.

3. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I have given up on NyLock nuts and replaced everything with an all steel lock nut. They look very similar to NyLock's but have the top pinched rather than the nylon inserted. All the hardware stores around me carry them and so far not a one has come loose.

4. what bolts are you talking about? I cannot picture them in my head.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

can you give me the part numbers of the bolts that are loosening? it should be on that same link i gave you last time.

6. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Basher

Hey there,sorry I took so long. Had some running to do.

On the schematic for the power pack frame (pg 3 ) the number is 21. The are a couple of 21's, the one that is giving me fits is the one on the triangular piece of steel closest to the power pack itself.

On the parts list it is #98009010 Hex cap screw.

It loosened up three times since I took it back to the dealer initially. Lucky for me ,Bill the mechanic at the dealership showed me what was wrong the first time and how to fix it.

I just have to remove the power pack cover and tighten it but I don't think I should have to do this. It should stay tight by itself, of course.

Thanks in advance for the help.

7. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Lownrangr- look under "problem with down pressure" thread here. Too much to explain it all again. Thought I had it set though. Just a simple bolt issue now mucking it up.

Basher- any ideas?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think Snoway blew it, I have to look at a plow (out of stock on 22s right now) but 1 1/2 bolt approx. 3/4 inch of material, only leaves 3/4" for the lock nut, IF it where cranked down tight and it should be a fairly low torque setting because its a pivot. That's not enough in my opinion.

As an aside. You cann't re-tighten Nylock nuts and expect them to hold torque setting. It is my experience that the "locking" feature of the nylon is inadequate to retain tension after initial use.

9. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Basher

So I guess what you are saying is to just go ahead and replace the nuts and bolts.A longer bolt and new nylock nuts should do the trick. Kind of surprised Toby4492 hasn't chimed in here. He is usually on top of this website. Must be on vacation or something!!

Thanks.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This is strictly my opinion. This is not the opinion of snoway. I in no way represent the snoway corporation's stance on this matter

11. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Thanks. Message received.