1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salvaging 5 gallon pails w/ calcium solidified

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by hotwired, Nov 26, 2013.

1. hotwired

hotwired Junior Member

Hi there
    I didn't see an appropriate forum to post this in, so hope this one's ok.

Sometimes I leave a bucket of calcium in the wrong place, and because it "attracts moisture" it becomes wet, then solidifies and swells just a bit so it won't come out of the pail. I have tried sledge hammers, even an AK47, and that stuff is bullet proof! Does anyone know of a way to get this stuff out of the bucket so they can be re used? Not a big deal, only a bucket, but otherwise I have a 50 lb weight to dispose of ...
    Thanks all!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Chip it out. Or hose it out with water

3. hotwired

hotwired Junior Member

hose and pick

full sized pick axe with eye protection....harder than cement. left out in rain all summer....no change. this stuff is harder and more impervious than any cement based product I've used for walls, patios, etc. That sounds insane, but I'm telling you, I can swing a pick and was not able to make much of a dent at full power swing....

They are useful as targets !!

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hummmm. Well then. I would play taps and salute the bucket as it goes slowly into the garbage
    Side note the do sell buckets with screw on lids