1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salty engine

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RoseMan806, Feb 22, 2014.

1. RoseMan806

RoseMan806 Member

I've been working on ideas to prevent or limit the amount of salt that gets onto my engine. Looking in through the front wheel wells I can see the engine block and manifolds. Has anyone sealed up the well to limit road salt, debris from engine compartment? I've been taking the truck to the local car wash after every storm but this was the first warm day I was able to take close look and saw salt caked onto the manifolds, oil pan, block, etc. as if it dried on contact of the hot engine.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Come spring, or the next nice/warmer day Im going to try that Lubriseal or whatever it is. I believe they are a sponsor on here. Other than that the only thing you can do is keep washing it. Everyone who plows snow/salts for a living should get a huge discount on new trucks,lol. I know a guy who just fertilizes during the "normal" months and his trucks are 2000-2003 and they are mint, even the frames look new :realmad:

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just saw the promotional ad and I dont think it will work too well with the heat. Maybe come spring give it a good power wash and paint with heat paint in a rattle can. Im probably going that route, even the oil pan, at least its a bit of protection

4. RoseMan806

RoseMan806 Member

Got under the truck with the garden hose and really washed everything down. After the engine dried I gave it a good coating of Fluid Film. Hopefully it will slow down the corrosion, etc. This spring I will prep and paint the block, manifolds, frame, etc. etc. :nod:

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

How about using rubber pond liner to close the gaps in the fender wheel area. It won't cure what's coming up under the motor but it'd help.

6. RoseMan806

RoseMan806 Member

Exactly, I was thinking about sealing it off with rubber sheets(similar to rubber roofing kind). I know I can't do much about underneath but anything helps.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Everyother time I wash the trucks the engine gets pressure washed as well.

8. shep28

shep28 Member

I paint the frame with warm tacky chain saw bar oil in the fall. Really helps. Stick a sprinkler with warm water running from the house under the truck once a week. I also mist the engine with warm water. Thinking of hooking power washer nozzles to PVC pipe and rigging up a portable car wash in the garage.