1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salty Dog

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CTAYLORPLOW, Dec 23, 2004.

1. CTAYLORPLOW

CTAYLORPLOW Junior Member

I was advised to spread a mix of salt and sand. salt melts snow sand adds traction and eases the salt usage so I'm told. However do any of you guys have a recommendation as to what salt to sand ratio i should use. Also maybe someone could recommend a distributor in the West Chester, Pa area ( I really don't want to do the bag thing , I have a good container for it any way).
    Merry Christmas
    P.S. I read that alot of you are interested in a license or permit for plowing sounds good. How could this be initiated? I wonder about regular drivers out there, let alone newbies like me with a 5oo# chunk of steel on their rig. :eek:

2. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I use a 80% sand 20% salt mix. If we get freezing rain I add more salt.

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't use sand , and in fact I have some contracts that prohibit it, because of the extra clean up costs in spring and the tracking problem. You should really be looking at a modern solution like Magic salt or Caliber treated salt to solve the melting traction problems in low temps.

Bill