1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salty Dog gear Box

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by breezmister, Jun 18, 2013.

1. breezmister

breezmister Junior Member

has anyone deal with the gearbox on a salty dog ?
    I have one that I believe has a bad bearing, but before I start beating on it with a hammer, is there anything I should know about taking it apart ?

2. LON

LON Senior Member

Will be a CaniMex or Chinese gearbox. If a bearing failed then more than likely a seal failed and your box could be full of grit & grime and not worth repairing if it needs everything inside.

3. breezmister

Good point, but the cost of me cleaning it and a new bearings still cheaper then replacing it

Does any one know who made this gearbox ?

Where I could get a break down ?

4. LON

LON Senior Member

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not designed to be rebuilt. That gearbox was not available as a service part had to be both motor, gearbox combo. That may have changed, have your dealer call saltdogg support and check.

6. breezmister

Thank you Lon and basher, I appreciate your time on getting back to me on this. I'm old school, if some one made it, I should be albe to fix it.

I figure if Westren can make a serviceable gear box, Buyers should too....

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No one said they couldn't, but at what price? Saltdoggs are relatively "cheap" you just discovered one of the ways they achive that price target.:D

You could try disassembling it, reverse engineer the unit and try Bearings inc, etc. to try and match up parts. remember to take metric measurements.

8. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Most companies no longer offer service parts on the gear boxes now...Even the big boys