1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

saltspreader problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rfed32, Dec 23, 2008.

1. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i went to hook up my salt spreader the other night to go out and when i pluged it in and turned it on the controler light would turn on for a couple sec then it wouldflash a couple times and thats all it does, but the spindel will not spin...i checked today and there were some wires that were showing, fixed them but it still wont work...anyone have any ideas....its a lesco mini spreader, i mean if i have to redo all of it with motor and wires and all not a big deal i bought it 2 years ago for 100bucks off a guy i worked with and havent had any problems so i mad my money back and some so it wont be a big deal but before i break it down and do that if there is a better fix that would be a little cheaper, and right now i cant aford going and putting out well over a grand for a new one...thanks

2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

If the controller is flashing the the motor is not getting power check the plug connections might be just some corrosion

3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Check the main power fuse to the spreader. Most likely blew that fuse.

4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

where wld the fuse be...on the control box???

5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

should be by the battery inline with the main power wire to the controller

6. MarkG

MarkG Junior Member

I recently bought a SnowEx 6000. Installed it and connected it up and didn't work everyone I talked to tried telling me the controller was shot - 800 bucks is not something I was willing to try so I started troubleshooting the thing... But of course make sure that any inline fuses have not been tripped before starting any of the below things.

A) Check your power. Simulate power going to the spinner by plugging your battery charger in to the connections that you would plug IN to the controller. As these are your OUT power that would drive your spinner, auger, vibrator etc... If nothing happens and your positive that power is going to the rear of your truck than:::

B) De-electrical grease everything. Make sure the conection at the back of your truck that you connect your salter in to is fine. No green corrosion on it or anything like that.

C) Check the power right at the sources - make sure that bearings, gear box's etc... are all moving and haven't rusted out on you at all.

Controllers are sensitive - if there is any suspect of overload it will shut down and go in to protect mode.

Good luck man. 12 hours in the cold right before a huge storm troubleshooting can make you a little frustrated.