1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salting??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wright48, Feb 11, 2010.

1. wright48

wright48 Junior Member

What is the best type of salt for the price that works well in spreaders?

2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

table salt...spreads easily

3. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Typical, why not help the guy instead of being an ass!!!!!:rolleyes:

Bulk rock salt works just fine but i guess it depends on what your using to spread the salt...

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Bulk salt is great in the v box type spraders, but in the tailgate bagged salt works best, some guys have gotten bulk to work in their tailgate spreaders but it has to be realy dry and not dust.

5. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

Its funny that a person comes on looking for help and gets an idiot to answer!! I currently use bagged ice away and it works great!!

6. ajslands

I helped him

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I am missing something bagged and bulk are the same... Rock salt! Delivery method is optional. Don't confuse the lad.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Far from it.

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

Definitely not the same.

Bagged rock salt for a tailgate spreader, bulk for a v-box as others have said.

I've got a tailgate spreader and I use the Morton Saf-t-salt in the yellow bag, I usually buy 2 skids at a time.

10. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of spreader? ......push type?...... tailgate?...... V box?..... :dizzy:

11. Mr.Markus

I buy 70 tonne bulk at a time from the same place the baggers are hauling out of it's the same stuff, same pile. They also sell to the guys who treat it. The difference is packaging,treatment,price.If you are buying bagged rock salt you might occasionally get the silt from the end run of the bagging process which is finer but it's the same stuff trust me.

12. ajslands

How can it be the same, I can spread bagged salt just fine but as soon as I fill my spreader up with bulk rock salt it dosent work.

13. cretebaby

Have you ever seen the bagged product?

14. Mr.Markus

Got three skids in the yard for walkways.....why?

15. Mr.Markus

Is your bulk wet?

16. cretebaby

Any bagged product I have seen is uniform in size with no fines in it.

17. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Doe's Bag Salt Hurt Concrete....I'm just throwing this out there...:confused::confused:

18. cretebaby

:cool: ...............

19. Mr.Markus

Different baggers, different levels of screening, If you visit your bagger you'll see what's being trucked it. Bulk Salt. Search a thread called "salt problems" and it might begin to make sense. BTW I'm not arguing that everyone should by their salt in bulk. For some bags are more manageable and tidy. But it all comes from the same source.( I'll concede regionally.) For the record... I have used both in my lifetime and never had an issue with a salter jamming with salt. Pickled Sand is a different story and usually only has to do with moisture content.

20. cretebaby

The stuff that they bag locally is brought in on a train car and kept separately from the bulk that is barged in.Definitely not the same product. ;)