1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

When salting, do you cover the entire lot or just the drive-lanes?
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I like to put a big speed bump style pile right in the entrance to the lot and one on the handicap entry way of the building. This way I don't even need spreaders because the tires and feet track my salt everywhere it needs to go.

By doing it this way I lower my overhead or I like to call it "underhead" so I can effeciently lowball accounts. Its all about the Hamiltons baby payup
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Entire lot.
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

That DEPENDS
  5. Allor Outdoor

Allor Outdoor Senior Member

The only time we only salt the drive lanes, is when there are cars parked everywhere else...
    and if we do that, we go back later after the cars have moved and salt the rest of the lot

I suppose it depends on what your contract says and what your customer wants.

I would NEVER agree to salt drive lanes only, there is way to much liabilitiy!
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We put a speed bump of salt at the top of a steeply sloped loading dock one year-worked amazingly at keeping dock free of snow and ice all winter long.
  7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Terra- Lowballing is sooooooo cool. LOL
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Depends on the contract. Usually its the entire lot. Around here it seems as though companies are just hitting drive lanes but I'm sure their contracts read "entire lot" oops did I say that out loud. We use liquid on 98% of everything and we try to get into all spaces but we're not going back into every parking spot to salt. At least with rock salt, it will spread into those tough to reach places. The cars track it around pretty well and we hit entrances and handicap places pretty heavy.
  9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing:..Im all about "underhead"...Lowballers Rule..
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Depends on what the customer wants.
    Usually the whole lot.
  11. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Things are sure different out west. Hardly anyone spreads straight salt. Its usually pickled that gets used (gravel with about 5-10%salt mixed in). I've never seen any other company do anything other than the drive lanes. I have started using straight salt and try to do the entire lot when vehicles allow. There does not appear to be an expectation of anything more here.
  12. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

We dump a few yards at the front door in a pile so people will track it threw the lot and thew out the inside of the bldg. Got to make the carpet and tile trash!!
    Bag salt just cut a hole in the bag and chuck off the truck. Traffic will do the rest!
    Happy salting:laughing:
  13. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

We have a rapid response system utilizing our Bell 206-B Jet Ranger , A modified 1 yard bulk bag with a quick release, hover at about 500' and let her rip. works like a charm. Then in the off season we use it for clandestine runs over the border. payed for itself in three months.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  14. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

If the lot is uneven always go heavy on the high parts and very little near drains, saves some but im a cheap sob.
  15. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

Are you guys talking straight salt or salt/sand mix?
  16. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

We offer our clients applications in three ways
    Partial Application (driving lane only)
    Full Application (whole lot or whatever)
    Spot (by the yard or gallon)

This works for anything you are spread, liquid or granular)

Happy Billing!