1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by dbcustoms, Nov 19, 2009.

1. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

the end of last season i purchased a salt spreader for my truck and i am not sure how to charge if i use it. Does everyone charge on actual use per storm per lot? or do you have a flat fee per storm?

Im pretty new to plowing as last season was my first but im looking to go out on my own instead of being a sub and just need some advice on how to get started.

also in northern ohio what is the going rates? my dads business used to plow commercially but its been 10 years so we arent really up on the going rates.

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

DB...Welcome to Plowsite......I see this is your first post, use the search key and you have enough answers to make your head spin!...LOL...

3. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

i guess when i searched salting i really didnt get much, it just came up with a lot about people bidding jobs for plowing and salting, i guess im just looking for how most people bill for it and how much does 1 ton cover approximately?

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

20 lbs per 1000 sf

5. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

ok that gives me an idea on how to estimate usage at least i appreciate the info, do you charge on actual usage? or base it off your sq footage?

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Guys charge all sorts of ways, Per application, hourly, tonnage. You decide what way you want to charge. Do a search and read a lot, if you ask questions that have been answered 100 times more then likely you will get smart A$$ answers from guys on here so do a search and you will learn a lot. What part of ohio are you in.

7. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

im in northwest ohio im just trying to get somewhat of an education on how others do it and would like opinions

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I see northwest ohio, Do u live in Toledo, GO ROCKETS! Im an alumni or anywhere around there. Does your city have a name?

9. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

im in archbold about an hour west of toledo

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

we have a bidding and estimating package available at www.profitsareus.com that includes a comprehensive manual, CD with many templates that are customizable by you in microsoft word and a CD that calculates time and material for plowing, shoveling, hand labor. This may be what you are looking for.

Any questions, call us at 800-845-0499