1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowpusher 03, Jan 12, 2005.

1. snowpusher 03

snowpusher 03 Junior Member

do any of you guys leave salt in your salter for the next storm. some people say you can't cause it get's all hard . i have a 2 yard fisher salter. won't the track loosen the salt up. thanx

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

The salt can/will freeze and can/will prevent the chain from moving. It's best to run-off the material, cover it and re-load it when you need it. Unless you can keep it in a heated garage, you're asking for trouble. It's no fun to try and break up frozen salt in a v-box at O' Dark Thirty in the morning!

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I left the salt in my sander for about 8hrs covered on one of those real cold nights,it was like -20 with the wind chill,started the sander hit the the blast and nothing.Broke a shear pin.Fine i go back to the shop pick up an empty truck load with salt do my lots no problem.Get back to the shop take the cover off and i had a salt block.I had to use a pick axe and a steal bar to break it up.And of course i should have known that was going to happen because i left my house in sweats and sneakers thinking i will be back in 2hrs and go back to bed noooooooooooooo 2hrs turned into 6hrs

4. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

Yep, did that once. Preloaded too early, ended up with a 2 yard salt lick.

5. snowpusher 03

snowpusher 03 Junior Member

i never left salt in the salter just wanted to no if it was a good thing NOP thanx guy you saved me alot of bitchen out loud in the middle of the night later

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

On the V box salters we also clean out underneath the salter. We sit the salter on 2x4's on their flats so this can be done.

7. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

Thanx EchoVally, needed the laugh :nod: I had been driving around with my salt box on my truck thinking I had better empty and clean it up before i have a S--- Storm in my own drive way :cry: Then later have to Suuuuck it up with the men telling me I told you so :nono:

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Cool...:drinkup: