1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cmills, Dec 1, 2010.

1. cmills

cmills Junior Member
    from Indiana

I've done snow removal for several yrs now, but I've never done any salting. One of the places I plow now wants me to spread salt. My question is when do you spread salt. I've read that some people will spread salt before the snowfall and some after? This place has me plow when there is a 1/2 inch or more, I was thinking that I could spread it the night before there is a forecast of up to and inch and expect that to melt it right? And then I would spread it after I plow anything over an inch. what about when there is some snow on the ground, how much snow will the salt melt when spread on top of snow (could I spread it on top of 1 inch and expect it to melt it)?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, thanks

Cory

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Just all depends on the property and what they are asking, what the tolerance levels are, etc.

One commercial account I did last year, I didn't do any plowing during store hours, only salted the drive-lanes whenever the snow took over. It was as many as 5 times during one storm.

When salting like that though, you can't push any of the areas you salted as any residual left over from the previous application will go by-by when you push the slush and such away.

After store hours, I would go in and push the entire lot and then salt one more time to makes sure everything was "wet" when the store was opened in the morning.

Another account, I never salted during a storm, just pushed and then I'd salt after the storm was over and pushed clean.

3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We melt everything up to 2" unless it is to cold for salt to work.
    We also salt after we plow.
    We rarely pre-apply, it does not go well with clients in our experience.
    They receive it as being overcharged since there was no snow or ice at the given time.

4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Have you tried telling ur clients that anti-icing is better than de-icing in most cases?!?

5. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I know that but they don't listen or care........
    Statisticly 80% of accidents are happening at the 1st hour of a storm (roughly don't remember the exact#) I would love to pre-apply, sometimes we do when the storm hits at a crappy time and you run out of choices.

6. jimc

jimc Junior Member

For our lot at work ( truck terminal) we salt after plowing, If it is snowing heavy or will be overnight we will salt the scales and single pass at the gates

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

You should be fine

Yes your ice melter should be effective for an inch of snow.