1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salting (yes i did search for this)

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by 1/2tonthatcould, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Heres what ive learned so far.
    1 yard of salt weighs about a ton.
    17-20lbs of salt will cover 1000 sq feet.
    Salt is usually priced by the pound or by the ton or by the sq footage.
    I have read some people charge almost $200 to spread one yard, plus cost.

Heres what else I would like to know. Say you are only spreading say 20pounds, is there a rate to price by the pound? Or how do you price any given amont of sq feet?
    thanks!

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are only spreading 20lbs you have to have a minimum charge. How much is it worth to not be in your warm bed?

3. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Bulk or bagged?

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

That answer differs if you're asking a married man or single man.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well if he's married, then you have bulk,single more then likely bagged.

200 lbs is a couple of bags.And if your not using that much ,better to go that route then bulk because if you don't use it all ,then what/

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

This made me laugh really hard...:laughing:

7. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

You can answer your own question, you already have the information.

Since you mentioned yards, not ton's...you're probably referring to bulk salt? So that's normally $75-$100 wholesale ton (assuming you're not storing it on-site). So $100+$200 in your example is consistent with what you will see posted on this site of retail price per ton of salt spread (2k) or $.15/lb.

If you paid $100 a ton wholesale, you're paying $.05/lb.

Effectiveness of salt to break up/prevent ice should be spread at the rate of 2lbs/100sf. (Or .02 x sq ft)

How you decide to charge is your business. You can charge by the pound (sort of hard to track unless specific increments are bought/spread). Or by square footage. So you know what the lot should cost/retail you.

Personally I charge by the square foot on everything. I know how much salt I should need at any given time, I know how much my cost will be, and I know how much I need to charge the customer. Now - how much you charge per is again up to you.

So if your seriously asking about how much to charge for 20# of salt, charge them the bag rate x 3 ($15). Or a minimum rate that meets your business needs.

8. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Yes bulk. and thank you. so people will pay nearly $300 for you to spread one yard? Also this may be a dumb question, but how can you tell that youve spread enough or too much?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. underESTIMATED

According to what you posted, yes.

I was just helping you do your own business math.

Experience helps gauge spreading material. Im still learning after 4 years.

10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

You can also devise an application rate, which in some cases can far exceed 200/ton.

11. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

So if you were getting salt for 100 a ton, what would you charge to spread one ton? Those are just some of the numbers ive read off here.

12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

My rates tend to vary, pending all sorts of criteria. I'm not sure what it is your trying to quote, but when people start talking "by the pound", I assume your talking more about residential or very small lots...not a language I'm familiar with. My point I guess, rather than give your client an opportunity to start splitting hairs over poundage, why not just offer a flat rate per visit. In other words...if a drive takes an 80 # bag on heavy snows or low temps, but only 50 #'s on other events...and if the going rate is $12-15 per bag or so many cents a pound...I just would never have the patience for that. I'd probably be hitting it for a flat rate of $18-25 per visit + the plow charge...but that's just me.

13. underESTIMATED

+1 Agreed.

The average person isn't going to know what 200# of salt is compared to telling you that you are going to charge them for 4 bags of salt @ $15/each. Since you are using bulk, you can't verify that you've actually spread 200# of salt, unless it's weighted (or put bags in spreader) and run it empty on that lot.

Like stated above, you can only use what will work for you.

14. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

If your paying $100 / ton I would start with a new supplier.

15. underESTIMATED

**Assuming** you don't have it trucked in, and you're purchasing it from another wholesaler that does have it trucked in. $85-$100 are the prices I've been given down here.

Also just using the OP's opening post as a guide for his example.

16. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

we buy bulk from a local feed supply. when we pick it up its $110 a ton. our spreader holds 2 tons and it takes 2 hours to spread that 2 tons at our site. we charge $200 a ton

17. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

in your case .....i would charge by the bag (50lb.) and that would be $25.00 per bag

18. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 Senior Member

and if you're an unhappily married man, you will more than likely be sleeping in your truck on a regular basis anyways.Thumbs Up

19. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Ha, says you... I'll be in someone else's bed!!!!

20. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 Senior Member

****, you sound like my dad! lol